Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my problem. 91 si H22 :biggrin: :love: :love2: 88 Si stock :|

You know the saying "once you go black...you never go back"? Its kinda like that with my H22. Now I just need a catchy phrase

Im reviewing the possibilities for putting it my new 88si. I really dont want to have the car to where a stock motor cant be put back ( Ie..I need a new engine fast and d series are everywhere, or I want to sell the car but keep the H).

I have my likes and dislikes on both the hasport kit and the explicitspeed kit.
More and more the H2B is the best bet for what I want (good thing I have it :wink: ). We all know about the hood clearance issue. The valve cover and intake manifold is what causes the problem due to the engine being rotated forward. Here is a side shot of the engine in the car

Now Im looking for ideas on how to reduce the hood lift from 3 inches to somthing that wont stick up as much. At one time I read somthing about a modified valve cover to help with clearance but I havent seen anything about it. What Im wondering, is would it be possible to take some off the back of the valve cover?

As far as the intake manifold Im thinking some ITB's :eek: Rather than trying to modify the intake.

Any ideas or sugguestions? Help a brotha keep the H.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Just curious what you see as the benefits/drawbacks of each kit? The ESP kit will let you fit it under the stock hood, and I don't think you will even have issues with ground clearance (especially with that off-roading suspension!).

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My main dislike on the espeed kit is the passenger motor mount. You have to remove the stock one, put the motor and tranny in, mock it up, get it level and then mark where the mount will go, pull the motor, weld the mount. Now Im capable of doing that, but there is too much room for error, and knowing me, Ill make the error and have a crooked motor.

I dislike the hasport kit for the cutting to make it fit. I had to notch my rail on my blue one, but I could get away without doing that by shaving the pulley down. Hasport requires the passender side to be notched, and both kits require the rear crossmember notching. Hasport also needs the firewall to be beat back a little.

I really like the H2B setup, although its not for everyone. Easily available parts etc..

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
" Once your sporting an H22........ A B-series will hardly do.....
All The wanna b's Try to pass. . . . . .But all it takes is a foot on the gas....
To leave them in the rearview far behind.. . . . With a torquey moter that you hardly have to wind....

It took some work.... it took perserverence. ...........
And all I need now is a little hood clearance....
But finally I Have it ..... an awesome machine..
That Chew's up si's and poops out b16's.....

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Krix, I think that you will have to get over notching the frame of the car. It's not all bad, it allows better placement of the engine, further back for weight distribution, and lets you have level/straight axles. Given the two choices, I would go with the Espeed kit if you don't want to mess around with the front end, but the HASport kit is more drop-in.
After talking a bit with 2point2, I think I am going to make my own mounts for my swap. I have the resources to do it, the time to do it, the cost is considerably less, and of course there is more choice in the location of the motor. I'm sure it won't end up too far off 2point2's setup or Espeed's similar-looking mounts. When I finish them I will definitely be making CAD files of all the mounts, I'm a little disappointed that nobody has anything up for DIY mounts, as there seem to be a lot out there.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im not against notching, i dont like it, but I did it on my blue si. I guess my biggest problem, I dont want have the car at a point that I cant drop a d16 back in if i need to for some reason or another. Plus the area I have to work in is not exactly flat, and Im worried about it coming out crooked.

It took some work.... it took perserverence. ...........
And all I need now is a little hood clearance....
But finally I Have it ..... an awesome machine..
That Chew's up si's and poops out b16's.....
Now thats funny :lol:

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Krix said:
im not against notching, i dont like it, but I did it on my blue si. I guess my biggest problem, I dont want have the car at a point that I cant drop a d16 back in if i need to for some reason or another. Plus the area I have to work in is not exactly flat, and Im worried about it coming out crooked.
Use strings across the shock towers.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
How is the crossmember in the blue car after the wreck? Can you swap it incase you ever do need to reinstall the D? Its more work, but you are putting in an H22... Whats dropping the crossmember too?

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
crossmember is fine actually. I think it actually held it from getting knocked really far out of whack. I had a new idea for a hood, I need some old crx hoods to mess around with. Im not going to take the h22 out of the blue one until i either make a new hood or figure out somthing else.

I have been considering a turbo b though. a friend of mine has a turbo b20 and its freakin nuts.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
No, but since I'm on the lookout for a H22, I could keep an eye out for the B20 as well, or if you get one I might be willing to come down and take care of the H22 you have ;)

[goddamn vultures!]

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
CRXBart said:
I have a great idea for a cheap fun motor setup. I'm gonna do it to my beater when I get done with my paintjob on my crx.

D16z6
P29 pistons
Ported JRSC with 8lbs. pulley.
Si tranny
RC 450s, and crome
Zex Cam

Cheap fun and quick.

Or if you stay H do the E speed kit. Just be careful and make sure you don't screw it up.
Is supercharging a good idea on high compression like that (I know turbo isn't...)?

·
Registered
38 Posts
downest said:
No, but since I'm on the lookout for a H22, I could keep an eye out for the B20 as well, or if you get one I might be willing to come down and take care of the H22 you have ;)

[goddamn vultures!]
THIS IS JUST IN CASE YOU WANT THE B20

http://www.houston-imports.com/forums/s ... p?t=352206

THIS IS MY THREAD ON ANOTHER FORUM......CHECK MY POST HERE ON CRX COMMUNITY AND YOU WILL FIND A LONGER LIST...

·
Registered
529 Posts
downest said:
Is supercharging a good idea on high compression like that (I know turbo isn't...)?
With only 8lbs the 11:1 should work out great. My motor in my CRX is 11.5:1, and lots of people run SC on them. Ariel Atoms even offer the K20A with the SC to the tune of 300hp as an option. High compression low boost setups are more for a nice fun powerful reliable motor. Not a ridiculous powerhouse that is temperamental.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.