Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Silver 89 Si, ZC swap, Kamikaze header, 2.25 exhaust, with wear and tear from being the original owner. Still nice, but showing its age. I am considering supercharging it for a little more punch. Problem is, I just tried to order a new lock set and door protectors, among other things, and they have been discontinued.

New parts are getting hard to come by!

Now I am wondering if I should sell it as is for a decent price and put my efforts into my other almost pristine green 1991 Si. I was going to keep that one stock, but I am one who doubts the collectibility of these cars when parts start becoming scarce. I still love CRXs but a bit of realism is sinking in. They may become more of a PITA to own then they are worth it.

So do I just keep the silver as a DD (or sell it), and mod the green (swap, carputer, boost, etc)?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm amused that you're just now realising they're a PITA to come by, I've been having fun getting beaten on ebay for awhile for some things.

But I'd say stick with it, or get the more pristine one and sell me your 89 :D

Good luck with whatever decision you make!

·
Administrator
16,557 Posts
I think the CRX is just old enough now that OEM parts are getting rare, but not 'classic' enough to be considered worth restoring by most. Hopefully, in a few more years we could see quality aftermarket parts built to OEM specs, just like most classic American cars have restoration companies making perfect-fit body panels. I'm not naive enough to believe that Honda would start making the parts again the way that GM still sells muscle car components, but there will definitely be a market for vintage CRX parts in the future.

If parts availability is bothering you that much, why don't you just sell both of them? Keeping the 91 will lead you down the same path. So, I think you should keep both and boost the 89 Si. :p

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have spoken to several CRX friends around the country and here is what I think I am going to do.

The silver is my baby and mechanically in great shape (with the exception of a grinding hybrid tranny) but a bit worn around the edges cosmetically.

The green is cosmetically beautiful but brakes, axles and all the rest need some love. It also needs a new clutch.

So since I am getting some significant work done on both, I am considering swapping the d16a6 with new clutch into the silver. It will be my DD driver for awhile so I can get some serious work done to the ZC installed in the green.

IOW, the green will get the planned upgrades I was planning for the silver. Boosted ZC (maybe an engine build), OBD1 conversion, s2000 cluster, carputer, phat fives with new tires, rebuilt tranny, etc.

Whenever I start another phase of upgrades to the green, I will have my silver as my DD.

Does this make sense?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.