Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up Everybody?
I was wondering if any of you guys could give me some pointers on what I need to ready my car for painting? Sandpaper? What kind? Primer etc.
Any information would help.
Thanks Community.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
180 grit papers are good for prepping the surface. You will probably want some sort of fillers also, depending on dents/rust.

Priming all depends on what type of finish you choose. I'm pretty sure that Urethane primers are the best, and that they are compatible with Base/Clear.

What type of paint are you going to use?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I was just going to go to Maco (I think thats how you spell it?) and get it done there for about 300.00. I was going to prep the car my self. My buddy is supposed to help me do the body work, but i'm not to sure that he'll come thru.
I also got another question, how far am i supposed to sand? When do i stop sanding? Once i'm done sanding do i do the body work and then primer? Once again, Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
how far to sand... I think that comes down to personal preferrence. I am taking my car down to bare metal for this paint job, although you can spray right over the paint currently on the car. That is how the partial repaint of mine was done. You can also sand down to the primer, and then spray.

One thing that works well is to sand down to the primer with a block or air sander (DA's are really useful, along with a board sander). Where the paint is left are your low spots, and need a skim of filler. Deep dents would be filled with something similar to a bondo. If you choose to use the Bondo products, I would recommend the premium stuff. Its three times the cost, but sands and applies much more smoothly. For shallow dents and to seal the filler, use a flexible filler called Icing. You will have to get this at a body shop supply store.

Another note, keep the filler use to a minimum. The thicker the filler is, the less it will hold up, and the more weight you're adding to the car. The premium bondo is more sturdy, but any filler, aside from a fiberglass reinforced type will crack if it is applied to thick.

·
Registered
633 Posts
If your paint is in ok shape all you really NEED to do is sand it till it's not shiny anymore, basicly your just roughing the paint up for the new paint to stick to. If it's shiny when dry the new paint won't stick. Going down to the primer or metal is overkill for a basic paintjob, not to mention you risk making the car wavey.
360 or 400 is good for the above, anything coarser and you'll see it in the paint, then again if it's going to be a cheapie paint job you might want to go finer for the final sanding since they might not put a lot of paint on there... (good coverage?)

·
Registered
633 Posts
I would prime it damn near imeaditly after getting down to metal, but the humidity down here is crazy, it would have rust from fingerprints the next day. If it's in a dry place you can probly go for a little while without rust. But even if you heavily coat it in primer it will rust after some time (months maybe). Most primers are still kinda porous (If I remember correctly) If your going to leave it for a while before the real paintjob at least put some kind of temporary paint on there to seal out the moisture.
It's been years since I've been in the painting field as a job, I'm not sure whats available nowadays

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
shorte said:
dude, I clicked on your link in your sig...all I can say is sorry, man nothing sucks harder than relationship crap. I speak from my own experience. later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.