Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Within the next couple months or so, I will be moving up into the carolina mountains. I was looking on some input for a 4x4 vehicle. What are the more reliable vehicles between 93'-00' that are 4x4? I'm trying to gauge cost vs. value, and reliability is the biggest factor. How much should I expect to spend for reliability?

I need something that only needs to last for a year and a half. Is there any extra maintenace that is assositated with the 4x4 drivetrain?

Thank you for reading :) looking forward to your replys!

`J

·
Registered
529 Posts
andrey320 said:
A few good friends of mine swear by their Toyota Tacomas / pickups. They seem very reliable. My friends abuse them and rarely do maintenance but they keep going. I believe the prices paid were something like $5k for a '96 4cyl 5speed. Extra maintenance = differential fluid.
can't beat a good old taco. the 4 bangers run forever too!

·
Registered
952 Posts
The only thing i can say is i stand by my 85 chevy.

For extra things to do, greasing the front hubs is good to do once a year and checking all fuilds. Front and rear diff, transfer case, tranny, and of corse the engine oil. Also, grease all fittings with grease gun where needed. I think a tacoma is a sealed system though.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I would also agree with the tacoma. I don't know about Ford having the best trucks. If they do, I must have got a bad one. My family is the original owners of it, and it has been a pile since it was bought in 97.

·
Registered
293 Posts
CRXBart said:
scramblerman said:
Small trucks, you cant beat a Toyota.

For full size trucks, Ford.
Fixed it for you. Only good GM product is the Z06. Trucks are junk, Fords are way better put together, and longer lasting.
i would have to say both of you are wrong.

dodge is the way to go... ive got over 200k on my 98 dodge 2500 24v diesel and she is just gettin broke in.

scarponze

·
Registered
73 Posts
Comfort,

It partly depends on what you want to do with it. All around 4x4 and utility would be Toyota. Great value, parts are easy to get, and dependable.
If you want pure off-road then buy a Jeep Wrangler. Nothing wheels like a Jeep. Parts are very and you can swap a lot of stuff from other 4x4's.
As for a full size truck...looks like everyone has an opinion on that. I currently own a 97 Ram 1500 with 120k miles. I have to replace the tranny last summer, as have most of my friends with Dodges. Great motor but weak tranny.
I have a buddy who is a mechanical engineer. In his university they studied industry testing and standards. They found Ford had the lowest standards and GM was on the highest end. Still, it probably is a matter of opinion.
I also own a 79 CJ7 and just bought my son an 87 4Runner. Each has it's strong points. really depends on what you want.
If you plan to off road, the single best purchase after tires, is a locker.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Good call on the Jeeps, I love the CJs... but it's not gonna be that warm in the winter, and if you're 6' then you better get used to banging your elbow on the door!

My dad had a Dodge truck when I was a kid as well, and it went through trannys like a D15 goes through oil. One of my Alumni friends at school (old president of the shop) has a monstrous dodge pickup and he explained to me that only the auto transmissions are weak. This is because in park they don't circulate fluid or something, so it's especially bad on trucks that are used for work (like companies, cities, etc) or the ones that sit a lot warming up in the winter.

I still say WRX.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I had a dodge truck, everything was great but the trans. Friends / some family swear by chevy. I'm not lying when I say stay away from Ford, especially the newer ones, my boss has a '99 F-250 that is barely used (it has about 25,000 miles on it only) and he's had some problems. But he loves Ford and has had them his whole life, but then again he's a mechanic.

happy choosing!

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
My ranger is 2wd, but if I had to replace it, I'd stay with a 4wd Ranger... Just hit 150K, needed tires and struts, plus the front passenger side sway bar link broke.

I looked at Tacomas too, just couldn't find one in my price range. My buddy has one, and loves it.

I don't think I would try another S-10... it was reliable, but felt like a Caddy... not a truck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So far it seems like the toyota tacoma has the vote. How old is too old when it comes to trucks?(vauge question, yes)

I need something for space and utility, why I want to go with a truck. I agree with the WRX, but I can't afford one yet, otherwards I'd love to have a WRX Wagon. Jeeps are on the high end of expensive too, and the wranglers just don't have enough room. I've heard of reliablity issues with the grand cherokees.

Considering the drivetrain, should I even consider an automatic w/some miles on it? I think that my budget for this vehicle will be around 5g.

Mark, Idaho has mountains? :D

(I can't wait to have my CRX all fixed up. Anxious to take it on the twisties, they were so much fun in my buddies benz)

·
Registered
132 Posts
depends on what you want, a jeep is common, but jeeps aren't usually as dependable as a honda or toyota, so there you go

·
Registered
73 Posts
Comfort,

Definately look for an automatic. Much easier to wheel. Unlimited first gear. Most wheeling requires a slow and steady approach.
Toyota's are great, but don't pass up a Cherokee if it's a good price. Not a Grand Cherokee, but the Sport. Box looking with a straight 6 4.0 lliter. They are solid and parts are very interchangeble. I've seen XJ's (Cherokees) with 3 inch lifts and 33 inch tires with a locker take some serious trails in Moab and around Utah's "hills". Yes we have mountains here.
Toyota is a bit more reliable, but US parts are usually cheaper and the Jeep will have a solid front axle, much better for off road. Not as good for comfort.
Good luck and pack a hi-lift jack, tow strap, water, shovel, and tools. Make sure they are strpped down tight.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.