Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,605 Posts
Fuel consumption wise, coasting in gear will use less fuel. The ECU cuts off the fuel supply all together when coasting over 1500 rpm (or around there). But when coasting in gear, there's extra drag - compression braking. So I guess if you're coasting to a stop, leave it in gear.
If you're coasting down a hill, putting it in neutral will let you pick up some speed, but whether that speed is worth it in terms of fuel used by the idling engine, I don't know.

· Registered
2,605 Posts
Helm's '91 CRX manual said:
3. Fuel Cut-off Control
• During deceleration with the throttle valve closed, current to the injectors is cut off to improve fuel economy at speeds over 1,300 rpm (Std.), 1,100 rpm (HF) or 950 rpm (Si).
Ok, so I was a little off. In the above situation, you are using no fuel. None. None is less than the little bit it takes to idle the engine. So you would be using more fuel by putting the transmission in neutral or pushing the clutch in - the engine speed would drop and it would start using fuel to idle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.