Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
baker423 said:
What are you guys talking about, Honda did re-release the Crx, it is now known as the Fit! :? :lol:
I hope you get eternal jock itch for making that statement...

We all know Pontiac bought the rightsto the CRX and are now producing it as the Aztec ... :evilgreen:

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
jfrolang said:
If ever a 5-door CRX was made, it would be exactly what the Fit is. Don't knock them, go drive one. :p
I hope you get eternal jock itch too...

I'm jsut playing. I figured it's only a matter of time before this thread became rediculously off topic. I'm just getting a head start. :arrow: :arrow: :?:

·
Registered
953 Posts
mithuth said:
baker423 said:
What are you guys talking about, Honda did re-release the Crx, it is now known as the Fit! :? :lol:
I hope you get eternal jock itch for making that statement...
mithuth said:
jfrolang said:
If ever a 5-door CRX was made, it would be exactly what the Fit is. Don't knock them, go drive one.
I hope you get eternal jock itch too...
I 2nd with mithuth's statements. The Fit is nothing more then honda's "Fit" with us asking for a new CRX. It will never happen.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
baker423 said:
Well since the Insight is discontinued, the Fit is now the closest thing Honda has to a "new" Crx.
The fit is no crx. Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice car, and it's not a bad replacement for the older civic wagon, but it's a long way from the crx.

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
baker423 said:
This is what bothers me.
Didn't we just discuss this recently,recently being 2 days ago!!! :?
The board has a search function.

http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t ... hlight=crx
Correct we almost went two months without this damn thing coming up and now look two in a week I stand behind my statement in the other crappy thread.

daveb91 said:
NNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought this was the year we could get by without hearing this but no again those damn NEW CRX threads have started again! :cry:

·
Registered
20,417 Posts
bil said:
baker423 said:
Well since the Insight is discontinued, the Fit is now the closest thing Honda has to a "new" Crx.
The fit is no crx. Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice car, and it's not a bad replacement for the older civic wagon, but it's a long way from the crx.
That is why i said that it was the CLOSEST thing to a Crx. But i will agree with you that is def resembles the old Civic wagons.

·
Administrator
16,557 Posts
The Insight made a great CRX HF. It may have even sold better if labeled as such. It did not, however, address the fun-to-drive factor. The Fit fills this need.

Aside from the obvious body difference, let's look at what made the CRX so great.

Light weight (Yes I know some of you will say 2400lbs is heavy, but look at most new cars these days)
Economical yet gutsy engine
Affordable
Large cargo capacity
Great handling
A manual transmission that feels great and encourages shifting

It doesn't look anything like a CRX, but a Fit is its spiritual successor.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
jfrolang said:
The Insight made a great CRX HF. It may have even sold better if labeled as such. It did not, however, address the fun-to-drive factor. The Fit fills this need.

Aside from the obvious body difference, let's look at what made the CRX so great.

Light weight (Yes I know some of you will say 2400lbs is heavy, but look at most new cars these days)
Economical yet gutsy engine
Affordable
Large cargo capacity
Great handling
A manual transmission that feels great and encourages shifting

It doesn't look anything like a CRX, but a Fit is its spiritual successor.
All true, but a key thing to my mind is that it is a two seater--and that means you can have a smaller car with cargo capacity and lots of room for the driver and passenger. In that respect, the crx isn't trying to be something it's not.

The fit I test drove reminded me very much of the civic wagon I had in the mid 80s--it's sprightly, fun to drive. I love the backseat folding options. I agree that it fills the fun to drive need, and in a more light hearted way than the current civics do (also nice, but too much too too much for my taste). But the fit doesn't have that low to the ground "skateboard with an engine feel" that the crx has. I love that.

I really like the fit, if it had 2 more inches of leg room I would have bought one instead of the rabbit I just got. But I can't imagine having a 20 year old fit and being prepared to drop 3-4K on fixing it up like I am with my 88.

·
Administrator
16,557 Posts
I agree with the you about having 2 seats. In the late 80s though, 2-seaters were more accepted. Today there are very few, and basically every one of them is a convertible. I actually can't think of any that don't have a convertible counterpart, and all of them are above the price range of a CRX. Adjusted for inflation, a 1991 CRX Si would have a sticker of about 17-18k today, which makes the Fit look even better.

bil said:
I can't imagine having a 20 year old fit and being prepared to drop 3-4K on fixing it up like I am with my 88.
There are people that see insanity in dumping money into a 20 year old CRX, but 20 years from now, I think Fits will have a cult following just like the CRX. I can already see it in the online forums. And just like the CRX, the aftermarket for Fits is exploding. Fastbrakes has developed rear disc conversions and front big-brake setups, Hasport is developing K-series mounts... :twisted:

A Fit will be my next new-car purchase, I'm sold on it.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
jfrolang said:
I agree with the you about having 2 seats. In the late 80s though, 2-seaters were more accepted. Today there are very few, and basically every one of them is a convertible. I actually can't think of any that don't have a convertible counterpart, and all of them are above the price range of a CRX. Adjusted for inflation, a 1991 CRX Si would have a sticker of about 17-18k today, which makes the Fit look even better.

A Fit will be my next new-car purchase, I'm sold on it.
You may well be right about the cult of fit, it is a very nice car.

If price is an issue and you're not planning on using it like a truck, you might take a look at the rabbit, esp if you're looking for a car just to buy and drive. The handling's better than the fit, and I got a two door with the 16" alloy wheels for a hair under 16k out the door. The 5 cylinder is a good compromise between the noise of a 4 and the power of a 6, and the fit and finish is more like a bmw than the old rabbits and golfs. With kids and lots of dirty cargo, I think the fit would be better tho--the rabbit has fold down seats, but it's not as versatile as the fit (or the matrix, for that matter, but I found the matrix to be a bit too cheesy for my taste). So far, the only things I don't like about it are that there's a light amongst the warning lights indicating the "lights on while driving" is working (there, lights should only indicate a problem) and the stereo's aux input is in the glove box. Well, the key's too damn big, too, but I have too many keys.

When I was picking up the rabbit, I asked about the breakin period.

Dealer: For the first 600 miles don't tow anything with it, and don't take it past 3/4 of the max speed on the gauge.

Me: How fast is that?

Dealer: The speedometer maximum is 160, so don't drive it faster than 120 until you've got 600 miles on it.

Me: [laughing]

Dealer: No, I'm serious. Don't drive it faster than 120!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.