Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. I just picked up an 88 crx si shell 2 weeks ago. Got some work to put into it to get it going. Previous owner got a replacement sunroof panel and all the seal holders brand new. But I don't have the seal. It's the visible one from outside the car. I very quickly discovered it doesn't exist online. Is there a universal product I can buy that someone can confirm works? Everything I'm finding on sunroofs is just talking about bumpstops and other issues. Can't find anything on replacement seals. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't be the only person to have this problem. There must be some kind of option I can take to deal with this. I've gone through all the parts that came with the car. I have a brand new sunroof panel as well as brand new seal holders but no seal.

·
Registered
20,120 Posts
I can't be the only person to have this problem. There must be some kind of option I can take to deal with this.
You're not, but because of the age of the car and it being still a niche car, some stuff just isn't made for it anymore.
You'll have to find used, NOS, or get lucky enough to find an aftermarket one that you can make work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply Baker. I actually have a lead on a complete sunroof assembly including the seal and headliner which I dont have. Fingers crossed 🤞

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Early impressions with this car.. looks like it's going to be tricky compared to any of my past eks. By the sounds of things I can expect a few headaches dropping my b16b in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm tackling the floor before I move to the engine bay, but the little bit of reading I've done, everyone seems to push towards obd1. I dont know what obd my ecu is. It's a jdm b16 type r. The shop I bought it from set it up so I could run my 2000 si ecu which is obd2, to pass emissions and then switch the computer back to the type r. I want to run the type r ecu with it, but my understanding is that it won't work with the dash? Or different evap? I dont know haha I'll have to see when i get there. Still waiting on engine mounts, apparently hasport is super behind on orders

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The harness that came with the car is shredded too.. thinking of going with a new rywire harness, but again I need to figure out my ecu

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup 2 minutes of reading, my pct ecu is from a 98+ civic type r which is obd2a. I'll have to go dig through the forums to figure out my options

·
Registered
45 Posts
You're not, but because of the age of the car and it being still a niche car, some stuff just isn't made for it anymore.
You'll have to find used, NOS, or get lucky enough to find an aftermarket one that you can make work.
This is about the only solution to finding any part for the sunroof, buy a complete used one.
I ran into this when I wanted to repair my sunroof that had rust damage. Body shop didn't want to try to fix my unit and suggested finding another rust free one. Took a couple of months, but found a 88 black si roof from a salvage yard. No rust, headliner and seal intact. I do still have the seal,headliner from that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya im really hoping this one I found works out. I haven't seen it yet, the guy is supposed to drop it off this afternoon. The previous owner of the car got the replacement panel, the 4 seal brackets, and bump stops from honda 10 years ago he said. Never installed them so they are still brand new.. but that's all useless without the seal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got a used sunroof assembly with a good seal and headliner for $150 Canadian. Had a few other peices I didn't realize I was missing too like the wind deflector that pops up when the roof opens. I'm a happy guy

·
Registered
208 Posts
Frank, I've been working on aftermarket replacement seals for about 6 months. The prototypes are done and I'm just waiting on final production. I'm not here to sell on the forum but I wanted to let you know that these should be available by end of year.
Slope Rectangle Line Font Parallel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Frank, I've been working on aftermarket replacement seals for about 6 months. The prototypes are done and I'm just waiting on final production. I'm not here to sell on the forum but I wanted to let you know that these should be available by end of year.
View attachment 1013
Oh thats fantastic news. Keep me posted on when and where I can get one, and any other seals you may have in the works.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts