Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was looking to replace the stock engine on my 88 dx. Anyone have any recommendations on where to go. NOT ebay. I called a few places and they had em for around 500 shipped.

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
I have a better idea. upgrade. $500 can get you a D16A6 for example.

Seriously, nobody ever says they want a D15B2. I'd give you mine for free and throw in the ecu if I had another engine ready to go in.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
^^^ X2
A D15B2 you get from salvage will most likely leak, burn oil or just generally be worn out. You could use a D15B7 from a '92-95 Civic - It's the same block, head and exhaust, but with an MPFI intake manifold. Just slap on your old DPFI manifold if you don't feel like wiring anything.
Though if you're willing to upgrade, a D16A6 or D16Z6 could be had for a similar price. I got my 'Z6 with an ECU for under $400 at a pick'n'pull.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
^^^x3
The old D15b is good for an anchor,and thats about it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the thing is i want to autocross next spring in stock classification. I'd jump up some classes if i upgraded engine which really isn't that big of a problem but then I have to upgrade a lot of other things to even make it worth racing.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
If I remember correctly you can swap an A6 head on a b15b block and still run in SS class.(I remember reading that somewhere)
Auto-xers correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
293 Posts
im just wondering why no one ever recomends a d16y7 as a replacement motor. they have more torque are newer motors so its less likely to leak and they are plentiful and can be had for around 500 bucks at a junk yard.

although if your planning on a turbo project in the future with a y7 block i hear the oil pumps are week and have to be upgraded.

scarponze

·
Registered
711 Posts
zulued said:
im just wondering why no one ever recomends a d16y7 as a replacement motor. they have more torque are newer motors so its less likely to leak and they are plentiful and can be had for around 500 bucks at a junk yard.

although if your planning on a turbo project in the future with a y7 block i hear the oil pumps are week and have to be upgraded.

scarponze
the difference in ecus and generation.
With a crx you're at OBD-0, going to a d16y7 (i THINK) its an OBD-2
so, you have choices, you can:
a) Decide to convert the wiring (this is pointless, you'll end up spending hundreds on a harness to get a minor gains, at that point you can throw in a way better motor, like the 3 Stage Vtec JDM D15B out of the JDM EK's)
b) Get another motor thats more compatible :)

^^somebody correct me if i'm wrong

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Dont forget though he wants to run street stock which has some restrictions(i.e. only struts and an A6 head swap are considered legal)
I think...so he may not have much choice on engine selection.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
If you've got a stick shift, you would use a PM6 ECU from an '88-91 Civic EX, Si, AWD wagon or CRX Si. If you have an auto, you would use a PS9 from a '90-91 Civic EX auto. Beyond that, you need to run 4 new wires between the ECU and engine. The PM6 ECU uses the same connectors as your stock DX PM5 ECU, so you just need to move a few pins and add 4 new ones - two for fuel injectors and two for the additional MPFI distributor sensor. Finally, you need to swap out or extend the wires for a few connectors on your DX engine wiring harness to reach the locations on the Si manifold.

·
Registered
4 Posts
if i am remebering this right in a stock class as long as the car isn't broken down in to models any parts between models that can be used as a bolt on replacement can be used why not go with a dohc zc that came stock in crxs just not in america so you could argue that point

·
Registered
93 Posts
savestheday21 said:
Hey guys I was looking to replace the stock engine on my 88 dx. Anyone have any recommendations on where to go. NOT ebay. I called a few places and they had em for around 500 shipped.
You could possibly rebuild it.
That would be cool.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Dren said:
get the Si motor with the Si tranny, it's night and day over the D15
Yeah that is what I got, but haven't put them in the dx yet.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
You can put the D16A6 in your car and still be considered stock for autocross. The rule states you must be running an engine from a US model of the same car, from the same period.

So, if you are running an HF, and drop in a D16a6, you are still stock, even though you just added 40 hp.

If you take the same HF, and then add a D16Y8, you're going to race in street mod. This is because that engine wasn't an option for the rex.

There is a ton of info online about rewiring for a, A6, its called an MPFI swap. Sorry, I can't be more help on this, but I've only done one about 2 yrs. ago.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts