Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just joined the community as I am a new CRX owner. I bought the car with a blown engine, its an 88 si. Looking to swap in a new engine. Thinking about putting back in a d16a6, since 1 i already have everything else in the car so it would be a longblock swap. and 2 a buddy has one with reasonable mileage for pretty cheap.

I was planning to go for something a little more powerful, but also plan to turbo (sorry to sound like a newb there but its the truth). I've got more realisitic goals of maybe 180 or so WHP, probably less, ie. not building up an engine, this car is just a DD for fun and save some gas VS. the jeep lol

I've always had newer cars with B series, and never a turbo. am I out of line with that HP goal? is the A6 gonna be a 'good' choice to turbo? I definately see more people going either z6 or y8 with turbo, those would be fine but I think it would be pretty cool to keep it old school with an engine from that same era as the car...whats some thoughts? nothings set in stone yet.

·
Registered
779 Posts
The A6 is an awesome engine to turbo. I was gonna turbo my SOHC ZC (A6 with a better factory cam) but I got a sweet deal on a B16, so I went that way. A homemade turbo setup can run you about 1500$ of DECENT parts, and you can reach your goal after a 400-600$ tune job. Tuning is key for high horsepower numbers.

Plan on running from 6 to 9 PSI of boost for a daily with no engine build on a good tune.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ludesrv said:
The A6 is an awesome engine to turbo.

^^just what I wanted to hear lol, thanks

Plan on running from 6 to 9 PSI of boost for a daily with no engine build on a good tune.
I might have been shooting a little high, My last car was an EG chassis with a gsr engine, that was fast enough for me, I'm not much into racing, so even that amount of power to the wheels in a crx seems like it will be enough to quench my desire for a while. thanks for the quick reply!

·
Registered
93 Posts
We are in the same boat. I bought a 91 crx si with a blown A6 motor. It is going to be a weekend/occasional driver. I use my RSX for the daily driver. It is pretty nice compared to the stock A6. Looking to build something a little more powerful though.

I have been trying to decide what I want to do. Turbo, all motor, etc. After a little research I am going to stay with the d-series motor. I can't make up my mind yet on the motor though.

I have found a few A6's here locally, 1 would need to be rebuilt soon, 1 has 89k miles but the throw out bearing in the tranny is going bad, etc. Also Hmotorsonline has a sohc non vtec motor for about $400 plus $225 shipping(to KS), but it has low miles. I would buy this one in a heartbeat if shipping wasn't so expensive.
It does seem like alot of people swap in the Z6's or Y's. Probably because they can be found in the US with low miles, not expensive, and don't have to pay shipping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.