Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted an 04 R32 but they are impossible to find in good shape. We drove to Tampa to see 2 of them and were disappointed. I settled on this 09 GTI. 2.0 Turbo, 200hp, 6 speed, with a real back seat for my son. And my wife loves it! Just needs new tires and I have to get the wheel locks off without the tool. This is a great replacement for the crx.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's no Honda, but I like it. I know they eat wheel bearings, but at least those bolt on instead of being pressed. I also saw the Volvo but it was not a manual. I was looking for lug nut/studs, apparently nobody has them for an 09 but they do for an 06...which is basically the same car :?

·
Registered
20,303 Posts
zrickety said:
It's no Honda, but I like it. I know they eat wheel bearings, but at least those bolt on instead of being pressed.
I feel ya there, it's no Honda.
Ours did the wheels bearing thing.
Speaking from the MK4 standpoint, it is fun to drive and I like the interior layout.
Fit and finish on the interior, didn't hold up well over the years, compared to ALL of the Hondas' I've had prior.
Little things bother me, like the riveting in of the speakers and the aluminum oil pan are two of my NOT favorite things.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Nice. We are in the same boat. I am trying to get out of the crx and into a integra sedan or crv.

I have been reading about some vw tdi's as an option as well.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the MK4 but the MK5 to me is the best GTI. Not a fan of the newest ones, and the prices are high. Nothing will ever have the handling of the crx, but this thing is close. I'll need to autox it to really find out.
BJ, I was considering those cars too. I really wanted the R32 but most of them have been ruined. There was a black one with APR upgrades, but this one got my attention. A buddy has the 4 door but it's a 2010 with DSG, he loves it. Let me tell you, it's bigger than it looks...Jill thinks it looks like a small SUV.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm still a petrol-head if you ask Jeremy Clarkson. The 11% window tint got me pulled over last week, so I removed it. This is halfway done:

I took some pics next to the crx for comparison. The gti is very close in size and wheelbase, less than a foot larger by eyeballing it. Very comfy and packed with technology, though it's a double-edged sword if you ask me. Easy fit with my helmet :)b

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think they can really ticket you if you have florida tags. I asked the guy what the limit was and he said 32% for GA. For Florida he had no idea, warning for me. It was hard to see at night, so I'm glad it's gone.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a small update...crx still waiting to be picked up, but my nephew is making the payments. Of course, now it needs a battery :rolleyes1:
The GTI has been good, but I had to bring it in for powertrain warranty service at 49k. Stupid intake manifold has a flapper that either breaks, gums up, or the sensor goes bad. Very common on these engines. I got a CEL and the dealer did the rest. New manifold is warrantied for 1yr/12,000mi. Factory warranty goes to 60k, so next year I'm basically on my own. To prevent this and possibly worse issues with dirty valves, I routed the PCV to a 1" K&N breather. This may or may not save the manifold, but it benefits the engine regardless.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The VW forums aren't nearly as good as this one, at least for the MK5. Too much form and not enough function!
I miss it here :(
Christmas brought a couple goodies for the GTI...a hitch and bike rack. Everybody does the roof rack on these cars but the capacity is only 165 lbs and it kills mpg. The hitch tongue is good for 200+ with 2000 lb towing. Install was easy, just waiting on a 2" adapter to fit the bike rack.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now that the crx is sold, the gti has been getting some love. I took advantage of the APR spring sale back in April and was flashed for stage 1. The car is approx 270hp on 93 octane, and the stock clutch can't handle it. I've been stockpiling parts for the clutch job, which shares a reservoir with the brakes. They recommend a fluid change every 2 years, so I'm overdue anyway. Pirellis have about 30k on them and are still good. I did buy some lightweight TSW wheels. Stock 18's are 25-29lbs, these are 19lbs.
Drivergear springs and Bilsteins soon to follow.
Autox wheels...off an old A4

The TSW Interlagos undergoing a color change (honda polished metallic)

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If anyone is interested, my continuing build is on golfmkv.com and I stay active on golfmk6 with my wife's 2010. The car hasn't changed much, just painted a grille and a few invisible mods. Racked up 112k and I still haven't touched the clutch, suspension or tensioner but need to soon. 300hp and 30mpg is a hard habit to break!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.