Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for allowing me in this forum. My son bought a non-running 86 CRX Si which I will be coming here often for advice from you experienced owners to hopefully help him to get it back running and on the road. I have purchased an oem Honda Service Manual for that year CRX too. Thanks in advance for your future help and input.

·
Registered
655 Posts
If that's legit, I'd just buy that and use the current car for parts. Get a paint correction, clear coat, and you'll have a fun car that will just keep increasing in value.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at the oem service manual and it includes pictures and drawing describing how the parts should work. He is 19 so I don't know if he understands the terms but it will be an learning experience which will keep him busy. Plus, he bought the CRX with his own money.

·
Registered
20,285 Posts
I looked at the oem service manual and it includes pictures and drawing describing how the parts should work. He is 19 so I don't know if he understands the terms but it will be an learning experience which will keep him busy. Plus, he bought the CRX with his own money.
EVERYONE who is considering working on a car for a project/to learn from, should invest in the Factory service manual if it is available.
It literally tells you everything you need to know about the car and breaks it down bolt by bolt.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
One thing to remember about the service manuals, at least on the 2nd-gen cars: The nuts and bolts are referred to by their shank size, not by the size of wrench used on them. For instance, a "6mm" bolt will take a 10mm wrench or socket, an "8mm" bolt will use a 12, and so on. The difference is not always 4mm, though.

Here's a table that talks about what the sizes should be; the CRX used JIS (Japanese Industrial Standards) so use that column:

--DD

Reactions: Baker
1 - 9 of 9 Posts