Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Good to be on board here. I'm near the end of a 'restoration' of a 91 SI, and I've found (along with many other things former owners have done to this car) that I have mismatched front calipers.

I'm trying to find a good source for OEM/equivalent calipers, but am not having much luck locally.

Any suggestions for a reliable (meaning I'll actually get the right calipers and not those for an HF) online?

I've got Hawk HPs waiting to slide in, but need the calipers first.

Cheers and TIA for any help,

TE

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
downest said:
So you need a 90-91 caliper? Which side? I have a lone passenger side 91 caliper sitting around taking up space.
Hi Tom,

Unfortunately, the driver's side is the one I need. However, I would prefer a matched set, even if used.

But thank you.

TE

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
That's always the way it is heh. You can probably get a remanufactured Nissin (OEM) caliper from NAPA, Autozone, or the like. If you want I can poke around the junkyard this weekend (I'll be heading home to NH this afternoon).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
downest said:
That's always the way it is heh. You can probably get a remanufactured Nissin (OEM) caliper from NAPA, Autozone, or the like. If you want I can poke around the junkyard this weekend (I'll be heading home to NH this afternoon).
By no means go out of your way. But if you'll be there anyway, I'd be ecstatic if you happened to find a set. :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
The Eephus said:
downest said:
By no means go out of your way. But if you'll be there anyway, I'd be ecstatic if you happened to find a set. :)
Wow! You're a polite, energetic dude. Welcome! I wish I could help, but my big garage sale push was last year! LOL Good luck.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'm also going to the yard this weekend. I'm gonna be looking for rear disc trailing arms, so I'll take a peak at front calipers. If I find some I'm let you know and we could work something out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Neil said:
Wow! You're a polite, energetic dude. Welcome! I wish I could help, but my big garage sale push was last year! LOL Good luck.
lol. I'm the 'new guy'. You know what they do to new guys on internet forums these days. ;)

ludesrv said:
I'm also going to the yard this weekend. I'm gonna be looking for rear disc trailing arms, so I'll take a peak at front calipers. If I find some I'm let you know and we could work something out.
Absolutely. If you come across a pair in good shape, let me know and I'll shoot you some cashflow.

rex2nr said:
where are you located?
Austin.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
ahh, I have a set I could part with, but they are under a foot of snow at my parents... I forgot about the snow, since we haven't had much this year yet, lol.

They are also attached to the entire front spindle, so I'd kinda like to get rid of the entire piece... good swap for an HF.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I've got a set too, but I'm really too busy with getting ready to move right now, and they are already in storage.
But, never the less, I think you should just get rebuilt ones from the parts store and give them you're odd ones as cores. They'll never know the difference. Plus then you can't paint up the calipers nice and avoid rust and corrosion from the start.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, Jason. After sifting through AutoZone's site, it appears I should be able to get a pair from them. Hopefully they send the correct 'tabbed' SI calipers.

It's been a bad luck car in that regard so far. But I'm SO close to being finished to the point where I can at least enjoy driving it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a set of Front calipers from an '88 Si I can sell you. I'd suggest a rebuild, but they might be useable. PM me or email me at ledford.jordan at gmail.com if you're interested.

My only other suggestion is to buy a rebuilt set from a Honda dealer, might be more expensive, but at least you'll know you're getting the correct part. Good luck,

- short-A

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I'm back to start again.

Got the calipers from Pep Boys. Good deal for some remans. Unfortunately, the caliper mounting bracket on the drivers side front is *also* not original equipment.

This one seems to be much harder to find. And, of course, the dealership says they can get it with a caliper 'kit' on the phone, but says that they can't get the part when we showed it to them.

Anyway...I'm back for any direction about where I might be able to get both the actual mounting bracket, and also an anti-rattle clip kit (once again, I got the wrong one from Pep Boys - a non-tabbed one).

And finally, if push comes to shove (and I'll search after this), does anyone know any direct swap full caliper sets that swap easily from other Hondas that would give me at least equal stopping power on the cheap?

TIA again guys,

-TE

·
Registered
779 Posts
Bring back your caliper to pep boys and order the 'loaded caliper' as it comes with pads and the bracket ;) . Or adleast it should. I can get them from Partsource up here like that. It's probably the only way I can do the big brake upgrade to EX calipers in the front.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ludesrv said:
Bring back your caliper to pep boys and order the 'loaded caliper' as it comes with pads and the bracket ;) . Or adleast it should. I can get them from Partsource up here like that. It's probably the only way I can do the big brake upgrade to EX calipers in the front.
So the 'loaded' calipers will have the hub mounting bracket (or whatever it's called) as well? That's great news!

Any advice on the anti-rattle clips?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.