Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so heres the background. You guys know me especially the guys Ive sold stuff to, I ship fast and give great deals usualy, I always err in the side of the buyer, make my crx'ers happy.

Fast Forward to yesterday...I have this WW replica fiberglass body kit, I found my reciept for it this morning, I paid $640 shipped for it. Real nice fitting glass kit. Ive been trying to sell it locall for months, and ifnally resolved to ship it, after pressure from alot of guys on here to sell.

I was reluctant to ship because of effort and cost. I worked out a deal for $200 plus actual shipping cost, so I could make a solid $200 on this thing. I went down to Staples, bought some bubble wrap and stuff, made a sweet double layer box out of some spare boxes I have. Oh snap, this thing doesnt fit in any of my cars! haha So Im asking around and my roomies mom is going to the UPS store (the buyers preferred shipper) to ship some stuff. I ask her to please bring this giant box and ship it out for me, which she does reluctantly. Knowing its going to cost some cash, I hand her my CC and ask her not to go shoe shopping with it.

So at lunch time, I swing by her house to pick up my card, reciept and tracking to forward on to the buyer.

get this, UPS wouldnt take my package because it was TOO BIG! so they split it into 2 smaller shimpents. And the cost...$375!!!!!!! what the hell, what am I supposed to do now. I just called them and its done, I cant cancel the shipment or anything

Heres the price breakdown, they charged me to repack the boxes ot to the tune of like $75 for boxes and packing material, and then it was like $150 a shipment for the actual shipping.

So what should I do now, asking for $575 just seems wrong considering I paid $640 shipped for it new. I really dont know what to do but I cant afford to eat this thing completely. I was figuring shipping would be less then $200...

I feel I should defintely eat this $75 'repacking' cost, because thats screwed up, but the $300 for shipping...what should I do?

[email protected]

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
That's messed up.

Simply contact the buyer, and explain the situation.
In this situation it's not really fair to have him eat up all the charges, since some of it isn't shipping related. But IMO he should pick up the tab for the shipping.

Sometimes stuff happens. I've had this happen to me a couple of times, when packages turned out to weigh a bit more than I expected them to. (crappy scale probably)

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah the way i see it, I should eat the $75 for the 'repacking' garbage, as well as the other packing costs I incurred.

I guess Ill ask for the $200 plus $300 for the shipping, leaving me with less then $100 profit. Never thought I wouldve only got $100 or less for this thing, I shouldve jsut craiglisted it for $150.

hindsight is 20/20 or however that goes

[email protected]

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
if the buyer was willing to pay actual shipping then i think everything will be ok. I say just pay the $75 since the buyer had nothing to do with it and ask them to pay the difference.

ive shipped huge boxes through dhl with no problems. I sent a 92 prelude fender from Va to Cali for like $15. Prelude fenders are huge to begin with plus the box had a good few inches all around it.

In my experiance it breaks down like this:

UPS: costs the most, most the time arrives undamaged

Fedex : a little less than UPS but everything I recieve fedex is broke. I dont ship out with them.

DHL: Cheapest all around. Never had a problem. My preferred shipper to ship and recieve. My CF hood came through them fine. They had to run a van out just for it because its all that would fit :lol:

USPS: Prices vary but always ontime.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if this was somewhere else id be more inclined to be like, whatvere. but not on here.

we agreed on $500 said and done, including some calipers i shipped out today.

so $375 shipping + $60 calipers = matt making $65 on his body kit. oh well, karma comes back.

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Wow matt your much nicer than alot of peeps I know.
In my past experience UPS blows dogs.
They will NEVER get my business again!
USPS FTW.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, i dont think ill ever use them again either.

anyway, its only a body kit...I dont want to put anyone in a world of hurt $$$ wise just to increase my profits. Ill make a little bit of cash and chalk it up to a learning experience.

Im going to file a complaint with UPS on Monday though, to at least say I tried.

[email protected]

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the vote of confidence haha

i have to at least try, you cant knock the system until you give an honest try to work through it. you know that better then most im sure.

[email protected]

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Yeah, good luck with the UPS devils. Where I work is a UPS shipping point and they like to charge us fees for every little mistake made. Plus, they upgrade their software all the time and half the time the program messes up and then there is another update to fix the first one. Stupid.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.