Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what else other than worn piston rings could be causing me to burn oil? i did a comp. test and got ~180 across the board, which i understand is reasonable. i lose at least a quart a week (about 300 miles). its not a leak because i've never seen a drop under the car.

any ideas?

'91 si, 180k miles

·
Registered
779 Posts
Valve steam seals can get worn and slowly leak oil ontop of the valves, especially when the car sits overnight. You should see blue smoke on start up if thats the case. Go and double check that you are not leaking any oil. Also, have someone chase you when you go thru all the gears all the way to red, they will tell you if your burning oil at high RPMS.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ludesrv said:
Valve steam seals can get worn and slowly leak oil ontop of the valves, especially when the car sits overnight. You should see blue smoke on start up if thats the case. Go and double check that you are not leaking any oil. Also, have someone chase you when you go thru all the gears all the way to red, they will tell you if your burning oil at high RPMS.
o i'm def. burning it at high rpms, the smoke is pretty bad.

yeah, there is some oil on the spark plugs

looks like i need to get my 240 all fixed up so i can pull the head off this thing...

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
You can have oil leaking past the piston rings and still get good compression, strangely enough. Oil leaking past the rings shows up mostly at high RPM, though the worse the leak, the lower the RPM required to see smoke.
If you have enough compression blow-by, it can force oil back up through the valve cover breather into the intake.
A stuck PCV valve could pull an excessive amount of crank case air into the intake manifold, picking up oil along with it.
As ludesrv said, bad valve stem seals would primarily give you smoke at startup, though a bad enough leak could give you constant smoke.
An oil leak from the head gasket would result in oil on the exterior of the block, or in the coolant. There's no place on the gasket where an oil passage is next to a piston, so you would end up burning coolant, not oil.

·
Registered
779 Posts
RB20s13 said:
ludesrv said:
o i'm def. burning it at high rpms, the smoke is pretty bad.

yeah, there is some oil on the spark plugs

looks like i need to get my 240 all fixed up so i can pull the head off this thing...
Sounds like your piston rings are done. The compression rings may be fine, but your oil ring is definitly in need of replacing. I say it's time to swap it to a B16 :p .

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a similar problem with my DOHC ZC though not so bad.

A local mechanic suggested putting Sea Foam in the crankcase, driving till the oil's black then changing the oil and repeating till the oil stays clear. Supposedly, the sea-foam will eventually eats into the carbon deposits that cause the oil rings to clog and stay contracted in their slots.

Seems like a decent theory so I'm trying it. I've driven about 500 miles since the first lot of Sea Foam went in and the oil's black already - so by his criteria, I'd need to change it.

Car's in blankets for the winter so I won't be changing the oil again till Spring.

I got my Sea Foam from Fleet and Farm - I think most auto stores carry it.

Give it a try - unless you really are looking for an excuse to put in a B16!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ludesrv said:
Sounds like your piston rings are done. The compression rings may be fine, but your oil ring is definitly in need of replacing. I say it's time to swap it to a B16 :p .
b16 would be nice, but im done w/ engine swaps for a while lol (due to lack of funds). i'll be keeping the d for the forseeable future.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Damn, I have a D15 bottom end... I'd recommend rings, bearings, and gaskets. I was going to use it in my mini me but the A6 block is stronger.

If you're interested, its just taking up space, but is disassembled and has been honed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.