Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents and Ladies,

I just bought my mom a 90 dx hatchback in close to mint condition. I know its not a crx but please bare with me, or move the thread elsewhere that is appropriate.

The engine compartment overall is so clean you could eat off of it, just a light coat of dust. however the tranny looks like it has developed a light coating of oil on the top and bottom. I'm trying to think about where it could be coming from. I've got a few ideas but I wanted to ask if there are any common problem areas of leakage on or near the transmission.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The valve cover and below the distributor are common sources of leakage up top. The marks you see on the bottom could be from this oil running down to the bottom of the transmission, or it could be from road debris and crud.

I cleaned the case of my transmission and still could not get rid of the staining in the top layer of the metal. (ie: a form of anodizing had occured) I sandblasted the case and painted it with an aluminum coloured engine enamel.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, it looks like someone put oil on the tranny, but the engine block is mostly clean. I suspected the dizzy o-ring, but thought maybe the tranny itself was leaking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.