Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have an owners manual, where is the oil level supposed to be on the stick? my diptsick has 2 dots on it and nothing else to indicate where the level should be.

thanks!

·
Registered
953 Posts
the top hole means its full. Over that and its too full. the bottom hole is to add more oil. no oil on the dip stick means your way too low and add oil now.

An oil change she use about 4 to 4.2 quarts of oil. just fill it to the second hole and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
SETI20 said:
Full is just as bad as empty. The manual says you shouldn't overfill past 80%.
Same with the gas tank by the way.
with the oil level full, but not over-full, what is bad about that?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome, thanks! I've been keeping it over full while my valve cover gasket was leaking. I think it still is after some work, oh well.

As to Ragnarok's question about over full:

When you have too much oil in the crankcase, the moving parts are either sitting in it too far and creating drag causing a loss of power, or extra oil is getting kicked up all over the place doing the same thing. And the more you do that at faster speeds in a motor, it's not good for it long term.

This leads me to a question:

Do D motors have windage trays (either stock or aftermarket)? Always a good thing to have to keep the oil from getting kicked up all over. Adds efficiency to the motor.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Actually, the major issue with an over full engine isn't so much the rotating parts being slowed down by the oil, but rather the oil getting whipped into a froth by the crankshaft. When that happens, you get alot of air mixed in with the oil, which greatly reduces the oil pump's ability to move oil (air compresses where oil would not). The resulting reduction in oil flow and pressure puts the engine parts at risk of metal-on-metal contact, which can easily cause permanent damage to the parts and even seizing if it gets bad enough.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
actually my question was about exactly what seti stated. he said "shouldn't overfill past 80%" I'm guess he means perfect oil level would be 80% of the difference between the bottom add mark and the top full mark, not 100% up to the full mark.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
ryan_long_01 said:
Then why wouldn't they just make that 80% point the full mark? What is the point of having a mark that you should never fill to?
i don't know, hence why I asked about it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
In answer to the question earlier in the list, the D16A6 in my '88 CRX Si does not have a windage tray that attaches to the block or the main bearing cap. But I think it does have a baffle above the sump that's part of the oil pan.

I do recall that the '86 accord I had once did not have a windage tray or a pan baffle, but you could the one that came stock on the "LXi" model of that year (both were A20 block).

Aftermarket:

http://www.crank-scrapers.com/prod01_B.html

$300 for a claimed 2.5% hp gain.

see also: http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=895428&page=1

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
The full mark does it's work fine, as it's the full mark.

If th eowners manual tells you not to fill all the way up to the full mark, what's so complicated about that? AN 80% mark doesn't make alot of sense to me either...unless ofcourse you call it "optimal level" like on most german cars.

But...this isn't the first time I fail to see the logic in a honda.
Wanna talk plastic clips? :lol:

·
Registered
20,417 Posts
lysinger said:
I don't have an owners manual, where is the oil level supposed to be on the stick? my diptsick has 2 dots on it
Just keep the oil level between the 2 dots, the upper dot is full, the lower dot means add oil, fairly simple.

SETI20 said:
Wanna talk plastic clips? :lol:
jfish360 said:
Or plastic screws???
As for both of those, i hate them, clips break and the screws are nearly worthless! :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.