Honda CRX Forum banner

Ok...now that's interesting. Kittycat related.

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  ampedcrx 
#1 ·
So, christmas was coming up. Time to pack up and see the relatives.
Unfortunately, my kitty-sitter cancelled last minute. So I had to take them with me.
I've had a cat for years. Recently I have 2. But only one carrier. So I had to come up with a cunning plan.

I took one of the boxes I usually ship parts in. Thick, double layer corrugated board. It took a serious blade to cut some holes in it so kitty can see out. So I thought that would be fine. Folded up the top...and off I went, with the youngest kitty in the box, with his favorite blanky.

About 20 minutes in the trip...kitty crawled onto my lap.
You can imagine my WTF!? expression. Flamegurl decided to drive up with me a bit while she went to her family. And we pulled into a gas station. While she got some tape there, I swapped the cats around. The older cat likes to drive. He's never given me problems, and usually spends the trip (cat)napping anyway.
And indeed. Not so much as a squeek.

Christmas passed, and kitties seemed to enjoy the strange house and all the new and unfamiliar toys (furniture) to climb onto. After a couple of days it was time to go home. Packed kitties up the way they came...and off I went again.

The youngest one started to become a little restless after half an hour or so, and I couldn't figure out why.
Another 30 minutes later, I happened to glance in the rearview, when I noticed something weird.

.....a TAIL!

I turned around a bit, and I saw the oldest cat sitting on the cargo cover looking outside, like it was perfectly normal for him to do. He saw me looking over, lifted his tail and purred at me contently.

....WTF (again)

I pull into the next gas station to see how he managed to get out. He's a fairly big cat.

It seems he "connected the dots", and clawed away some of the cardboard between the air holes. He then simply forced the side of the box out, tearing out the side. So taping it up wouldn't do much good anyway.
That cat is way too smart for MY own good.

I picked up the cat, sat him on my lap, and drove off. The next hour and a half he was perfectly content sleeping in my lap as I drove. But managed to get away from me when I needed to shift, spending the rest of the trip peeking out the window on the cargo cover again.

Kitty seemed to enjoy himself. Not the "road *****" I was hoping for...but interesting none the less.

See less See more
#3 ·
2 of our cats can get out of one of our carriers... the other is real close to opening the door on the plastic one.

I also had to make a Christmas drive with a cat trying to get on my lap... One of our cats has a urinary tract infection, and needed to be put on an IV (gotta love living with a vet in training). Sunday morning we had him set up on a IV pumping him with fluids to clear him out, in my parents house, who, dislike pets.

Last year at Thanksgiving, our sitter backed out after we left, and neglected to call us... We got home and found the house torn apart. wreaking of litter, ect. We found out later she was too drunk to come (or remember to) feed our cats for 5 days. Also, to make it worse, one of our cats was having asthma attacks, so he needed to be checked on to make sure he didn't need his pills.

#5 ·
Yeah cats can seem to get in/out of anything.

I've never had cats until recently when we took in a very thing stray that was only supposed to be temporary. :rolleyes1: Anyway, after a few weeks, we got him plump and ready to enter the world again a few pounds heavier. Well he just kept coming back. We've kinda become attached to the little guy so we took him in with the rule that he'll live in the basement (I am allergic to cats, plus we have 2 dogs and one of my dogs tries mauling the cat at any chance).
Well one day, my fiancee and I were watching TV and we heard this loud sound in the kitchen. We went to see what it was and the cupboard door underneath the sink was open (it opens downward instead of side to side). We look in there and the fat cat is just sitting there looking at us...like SUPRISE! He found a way to crawl up through the basement ceiling to the vents and up through an open vent underneath the sink. I mean he's so good at it now that we will put him in the basement and before we can make it up he's up there again. We've blocked off everything we can think of/see and he still gets up there. We've kind of just let him take the win on this...him and the dogs are getting more along now which is good too.

ANOTHER funny story...I'll make this short: We had the cat in the basement, and he got upstairs while we were sleeping (through the vent!) and got into a couple plants and tore up some stuff. I was so pissed that I was about to kick him to the curb. I looked at him and said, "This is your last chance...you gotta start pulling your weight around here." The same day I later looked into a drawer in the spare room...mouse crap! We've never seen a mouse there so we were really suprised. We went out of town for the weekend and were actually pleasantly suprised when we returned. The cat pulled his weight and found 3 mice while we were gone. 2 were placed like an 'X' in front of the sink, one on top of the other. The other one was in the middle of the spare room. When was the last time the damn dogs did something like sweet like that?? The cat stays...

#6 ·
hahahha

My cat has learned how to use a door knob. As long as she can push the door open, she'll get out, or in.
Our other cat figured out how to open the food bin (fat ass!). He also discovered a way to get into the plastic jug that my cat's food comes in.... brute force! He just chewed through the plastic, the container is mauled.

#7 ·
rex2nr said:
hahahha

My cat has learned how to use a door knob. As long as she can push the door open, she'll get out, or in.
Our other cat figured out how to open the food bin (fat [booya]!). He also discovered a way to get into the plastic jug that my cat's food comes in.... brute force! He just chewed through the plastic, the container is mauled.
Your cats need some discipline, you baby them too much!

#8 ·
you come over and try to discipline them.

The fat one swats back if you try to use a spray bottle, lol. The orange one just runs away, then comes back and repeats. My cat freaks out and hides for a good hour, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.