Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So over the winter i crashed my 91 Si, tweaking the front of the frame and doing some bad body damage down the driver's side. The car had a bit of rust being a Massachusetts car, so i decided to find a donor chassis car that was rust free, and just swap over my motor, suspension, interior, etc.

What I've done so far is pull the d16a6 out of my Si and drop it into my *new* rio red 89 Dx in place of the d15 + auto tranny that was in there. The Dx was obviously dpfi. My motor that was just installed is a mpfi. So I've left the the stock Si engine harness on the motor. I've pulled the dash out of the Dx so that i can replace the pedals.

Do I need to replace my main wiring harness that runs from the fuse box into the engine compartment?

I will be using the PM6 ecu from my Si, as well as swapping in the dash and all of the associated wiring for gauges, ignition etc.

I can pull the main harness from the SI as well, but if there is no difference I'd like to save myself a little hassle if I can. Or should I just go ahead and put *everything* from the Si onto the *new* Dx while I'm at it?

Thanks guys/gals.
-Jason

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haham, ya gotta love the girl of F1.

ANyway, ya good luck with yours too.

I did a preliminary check of wireharness part numbers for the 91 Si versus the 89 Dx on the majestichonda parts website. I'm not sure if the numbers they show are the actual part numbers, but either way the three main wireharnesses have different numbers for each car. So unless someone tells me differently I'm going to go ahead and replace the main wireharness as well.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Hey man if you need/want some help let me know. I should be heading home to Durham for a few weeks, I'm down in Boston a lot. Planning on going next week to meet someone at the Sunset Tap and Grill in Allston...

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
downest,

that would be great man. I'm right here in kenmore square. I'm pretty much working on it all day any day that it isn't raining. Based on the forecast it looks like I'll be tackling more stuff on Saturday and Sunday. I'm always happy for a little help/advice.

Let me know,
-Jason

·
Registered
247 Posts
if you want to do it without cutting and soldering wires, i think you'll have to replace the wiring under the dash as well, leading to the ECU. the DPFI and MPFI wiring are different with minor details (4 injectors vs 2 among other things) and the SI has one or two more sensors on the IM. sorry i dont have ACCURATE information, im not an encyclopedia on this. I did a DPFI to MPFI swap over a year ago, and my memory is poor at the best of times. i didnt have two complete cars to do it from, but i did have to modify my DX harness (specifically the injector wires coming out of the ECU).

give it a little while and i'm sure someone with more experience will be able to tell you specifics. but im willing to put money on the fact you can't just drop the SI engine in with the SI engine harness un-modded

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.