Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I maybe neglected to mention this...
My car isn't throwing any codes, but of course it's running like crap. When I jump the service connector, the CEL comes on solid. Now, this didn't happen before when I was throwing codes, like before I got the heated 4wire installed, then it would just blink out the code like it's supposed to. Could I possibly be in limp mode?

i heard a whisper of this limp mode on the internet and it sounds like what my car is doing... damn CRX is keeping me up all night

·
Registered
634 Posts
you pull the hazard fuse to reset the ecu.
Yup-yup. What he said.

That does sound like the "limp mode" I've heard talked about, but I can't say from first-hand experience. Do you have a "known-good" ECU you can try out?

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I can grab my friend's P28. I don't think I've reset the ECU since I installed the O2 sensor. In a way I hope that's not the last problem, I'm going to feel really stupid if it is.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
People on other forums are telling me the solid CEL means the ECU is bad... anybody want to verify this? I'm gong to try resetting it and then borrowing one if that doesn't work... can't wait to get back to NY tonight!

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Solid CEL would indicate a bad ecu... if that is the case, then yea, it would run in a limp mode. Sounds like maybe you have a wiring issue with the 4-wire... could have toasted it.

Double/triple/quadruple check your o2 wiring before putting another ecu on it!

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How could that cause the ECU to go bad? Anyway yes, I had a mistake where I was grounding one of the heater wires instead of running it to the ECU harness, but I talked to Ryan again and he straightened me out. Would limp mode make the timing like it is? From what I've read, it retards the hell out of the timing and runs it really rich. That kind of explains why I have to advance the ignition so much, and why I'm getting black smoke and bogging.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
is it a solid CEL all the time, or only when you have the SCC jumped?

solid cel all teh time = bad ecu

solid cel when SCC is jumped = no stored codes.

big difference.

I verified this in the eg civic FSM.

[email protected]

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
ive seen people post about if before and i thiought they were incorrectly describing a sensor malfunciton issue. as far as i know hter eis not a 'limp mode' on the p28.

on the WRX it has one where it runs low boost and reatrds timing, but its very obvious and documented.....

[email protected]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.