Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
B16A CRX said:
ive been told that when you run your car without piping it is faster but loses compression at high RPMs and it is bad for your piston ringss. is this true or not
You need restriction in the exhaust to keep the exhaust velocity high, running open header isn't going to help you, and it's very loud (and illegal).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know its loud and illegal but im goin to run open headers on a freshly built B16A ive invested to much money on it for anything to happen to it so i wanna know if its aight to run lik that for a couple of days. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
For a couple of days, it will probably be ok, but you do run the risk of toasting the valves. I've heard people burn them up, probably due to the lack of exhaust velocity.

·
Registered
779 Posts
B16A CRX said:
ive been told that when you run your car without piping it is faster but loses compression at high RPMs and it is bad for your piston ringss. is this true or not
You said it's freshly rebuilt? Well then it shouldn't be at high rpms now WOT for the first while of the engine (until everything settles and breaks in) so why would it matter? Don't be a dink and get the exhaust done before driving the car. It's not the likely hood of your running into a cop, but it's people calling in your car because it's too damn loud. I know from experience when the header flex pipe died on my prelude, very loud, very annoying, very angry neighbours.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no i know that i have to break in the motor before i can really step on it but i dont want anything to mess up because i have to drive it open headers for a couple of days until i get the piping done.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
the biggest issue with running open headers and valve issues is caused by running it, and then shutting the car off... the cold temps that creep up the pipes can cool the valves off in a weird way, causing them to warp ever so slightly, which will cause sticking, piston contact, burning, etc...

Heres' my take... you JUST spent all this $$ apparently to rebuild a motor, why in the world would you abuse it with the first thing you do to it?

Just DON'T drive it until you are ready to put a full exhaust on it...

...........And before you say "but its only for a couple of days", let me just say:

Take the advice, and don't drive it! If you're going to drive it regardless if the advice given, then why did you ask in the first place? ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.