Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey eveyone! I don't participate as much as i used too, but i still observe when i get time off work and read up when I can. I am seeking the input of the community :).

I have the oppurtunity to purchace a 2000 Lx auto engine, no clue about milage. For somewhere between 300-500$. I was just wondering how difficult it would be to switch to manual, and what d-series engine is the LX. I would like to judge if it's performance future would go beyond just a more reliable heart for my crx, if any at all. I could most likely get the ECU too thrown in with the rest of everything.

Last weekend my girl and I went to look at an 98' eclipse auto, and it was all messed up. I don't know how to read auto trannys, so how does it act when things start to mess up? I told them to make an effort towrds the car and I'd call them back. They sent her an email and said they had a new 00' golf for her to look at.

What are some things that I should look for on a 00 VW Golf? I belive it's stock trim, and green. She called me today and I checked out an 98' Civic Dx auto hatchback forr her. Evrything seemed to be clean, much better taken care of than the eclipse. The interior was really well kept, and small dings on the exterior. It has 131,855 mines on it when I dropped it off. Oil was changed. Over-all well maintained. Asking 5995, is that fair? If not, what is a fair price? Mid-florida owned, btw.

thanks for reading!

·
Registered
541 Posts
1. The 2000 civic auto engine is probably a d16y7. Thats what I had in my '96 hatch. Good base engine, comparable to the crx si d16a6. Around the same horsepower probably. Good aftermarket support. Don't know what transmission you would need (maybe yours?). Probably a good idea to get the ECU, because its OBDII (unless you want to convert to OBDI later for better tuning options.
2. Out of the other 3 cars you listed, I'd pick - 1. Civic, 2. Golf (what do you mean "new '00 golf"?), 3. Eclipse.
The civic is too expensive, $4,500 maybe if its really clean. You can probably get an si for 7-8 (well worth it).
My girlfriend has a '00 cabrio (= golf). Had it since new, now has 80 k. mi.. Not too many problems. Replaced clutch (she learned how to drive stick in this car), brake discs, speedo and rpm gauges don't work, has a cel showing and runs a little rough. Regular stuff I guess for a VW. Check the usual stuff - leaks, how it runs, how it looks...
Good luck!

·
Administrator
16,557 Posts
A 2000 LX engine is a D16Y7, it makes 115 hp. Converting it to manual is relatively simple, you need a flywheel with new bolts, a clutch, and then you bolt it to your stock tranny. The ECU is worthless to you, first because it's auto, and 2nd because it's OBD-2.

You could use the engine if you convert to OBD-1 and run a chipped P28, which I'm thinking would require an OBD-1 distributor and injectors. Or, you could call up Rywire and ask them to build you an OBD-2 conversion harness. You would then need a 96-00 Dx/Lx manual trans ECU.

I don't think I would recommend the swap though, it's not VTEC or anything and it's a very small gain over a stock Si.

Stay away from the Eclipse. Check for electrical problems on the Golf. I don't know specifics but I know they're notorious for bad wiring.

KBB lists the 98 hatch's retail value at $5915, and Private Party value at $4105. If it's at a dealer, I would probably offer $5400.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Audrey, Jfro, thanks for the answers.

I have a d15b1 in the car currently, that burns a quart of oil every 300-500 miles, and other random things. Does that chang the opinion or manke any other options (OBD wise ect) that I would be unaware of needing to be changed? I know it's not vtec or anything special, but considerig what engine and how unreliable it is for a realitively newer engine, and would it be worth the cost. I would most likely have to rent space so I could devote the time to learn everything.

My car itself is 88' crx dx. I'm hoping to get a mfpi conversion in the deal aswell.

·
Administrator
16,557 Posts
A D15B1 out of an 88-91 Civic Std. HB? Or is it the stock D15B2?

I guess if you're starting with either, you have a lot more to gain. The easiest way to do it would probably be to run a PM6 with a D16A6 intake manifold and distributor. I'm not 100% sure on the wiring you would need to do to make that happen, mainly about the engine harness.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.