Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've managed to make a deal on this '88 CRX Si and I'm considering to purchase it. Thanks to the help of both Moog on here & my old friend Andrew, offering there help out of nowhere, but its going down tomorrow either way with a ride or greyhound....

Although I've had a lot of people help contribute to there opinions on my near close but last failed purchase (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41100) I'd really like your input on this one again, as its seems legit & might get the help of Moog to scope out how it runs.

But I'd like some inputs, please, fill me in on your thoughts for this purchase of mine. If you got any negatives or positives, tips to fix some issues you may read about it, or just anything in general let me know, thanks :)b

"'88 CRX Si, 100%stock, new fuel pump new fuel filter, runs very good and very good gas saver too, the speedometer cable is squeaking because it can use some lube or replaced, small crack on windshield,front bumper is a bit slanted, paint is fading(come on its an '88), no back seats no cargo cover, it has a 12" sub and some speakers bumps good, needed the car to get to school and work but now I'm buying a car from a dealership so you can say I'm upgrading..i am a Honda enthusiast so i did treat this car like a baby, never revved passed 4500rpms, changed oil every month and 2 weeks washed every week and vacuumed every Sunday kept it as clean as possible"

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agreed '88 is the best!!! & love it because of the pillar mounted seat belts :) Although the 2yr difference from 90's is kinda sad... but I'd much rather have an '88 starting off the 2nd gen CRX

Although it doesn't have rear interior I guess I'll have to piece for those when more $ comes along. Gotta rid of these drumsets for sure!

Also I'm getting a good deal on it rather than $1200... more like a $1000 if I go pickup tomorrow :bounce:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Moog said:
im so excited to test drive this 88! anything i should check for when im going out to drive it?
And everyone please do tell Moog what to check out for. Hes helping me out a lot on this CRX! Would appreciate it as hes gonna test it out for me later tonight I believe.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Make sure it feels strong, you can tell right away when a car isn't running right. If I were you I would have there with cash on hand waiting to see if I liked it or not.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
beto323 said:
Make sure it feels strong, you can tell right away when a car isn't running right. If I were you I would have there with cash on hand waiting to see if I liked it or not.
Yea Moog is gonna check out if its running strong. But what do you mean about the whole cash thing :?:

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I meant that if I were you I would have gone to test drive it with cash in hand ready to buy it if I liked it. I once waited to get out of work and school to buy an 88 hf for 1,000 miles with 120ishk miles and someone beat me to it. My point is the car looks good and is cheap, someone might buy it if you don't hurry.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
beto323 said:
I meant that if I were you I would have gone to test drive it with cash in hand ready to buy it if I liked it. I once waited to get out of work and school to buy an 88 hf for 1,000 miles with 120ishk miles and someone beat me to it. My point is the car looks good and is cheap, someone might buy it if you don't hurry.
True, but its all set, we've planned it out and got things going on to get it in the early AM

I for one would of gone over today through greyhound but didn't know exactly my plans yet + when I got it all down bus had departed already :/

But i hope no one snags it now since posted!! :evil: ahaha that would really suuuuuck :(

·
Registered
198 Posts
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIIIImmmmmmmmmmmmmmm bbbbAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacccccccckkkkkkkk. ok. the tires have decent tread. he is the third owner of the vehicle. you will be the 4th. he is on the community his name is crxrex. it has 270k miles on it now. it looks like the front bumper has been run into.its pushed back about half an inch. i couldnt tell if the frame was bent or not. probably not. the bumper looks fine otherwise. it has a few dents near the rear wheel well. i got a picture. the headlights need to be tightened down because i think the screws holding them might have come loose. not a biggy. it has the front lip still. the driver side foglight turn signal plastic is a bit broken but the light still works. paint is indeed faded but w/e. windshield is chipped right where you are driving and look out. we discussed the fix earlier but its a small chip you decide that one. the windows roll smooth. seats are correctly on the tracks. 02 sensors are in place. i ran my hands underneath the cars and along all the seams where rust happens and it is rust freaking free. like no rust at all. i was surprised. a few small bubbles in the sunroof but w/e.

chris you need to text him cause he said he wanted to sleep in till 7. he didnt have the registration but he had the new title with his name on it. an old smog certificate. you NEED to get a new one tomorrow before you give him any money for it. trust me. its not worth the hassle to smog it yourself. he needs to do it. its an actual law in california.

so heres the car. the clutch has a stiff spring on it but you'll get used to it. he said the clutch pedal or something has been worked on? not sure what was wrong or anything. it accelerates very nicely. smooth idle. runs great. headlights are strong.

passenger seat is pretty clean. i didnt see any rips. driver seat has a big rip in usual spot. near the top shoulder near the door. small rip in the driver side door panel but everything is pretty clean.

the climate control looked good. the cold hot knob was pushed in but it still works fine. the rest of the climate control still works too. couldnt tell if it was cracked underneathe like they usually are. the top rubber on the steering wheel is coming loose but its an old car =D. cloth around the stick shift is gone. driver side exterior column panel is missing. easy to replace. ac needs recharging. fans work fine. cluster is good. the sound system works pretty nice.i didnt check the glove box but its there. head unit is decent.

the rear cargo is missing the bottom plastic floor thing, the divider, and the main cargo box. i think the cargo carpet was there too. the hatch is missing some interior weather stripping and its been garaged so we don't know if it leaks water, its so cal and lancaster come on. =D the side cargo boxes are there. interior is all together from what i could see. it has the old 80's alarm system under the passenger seat. that would be cool to get working. it doesn't work at the moment.

you have to slam the hatch to get it to close. the locking mechanism needs oil or something. the doors close with a tad of difficulty but i think it was just some old misaligned weather stripping. they close good and everything with a good slap so no worries.

couldnt tell if the brakes needed to be replaced but it brakes good. the sun roof switch is broken but he still has the flippy part (the part you poke) so it might be an easy fix. the wires are still there and everthing. couldnt test the sun roof.

im thinking if there is anything else. if i remember i will post the rest. pictures to come in the next posts.

·
Registered
198 Posts
this is the driver seat. rip is near my left shoulder. the rest of the seat is in pretty good condition. he said the registration expires january 2011. seat belts need to be cleaned as the dont go in and out very smoothly.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.