Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 297 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I just bought an 88 so I can start my new 1988 Si project.

My plans are to create a mostly stock "best of all DMs" (ie JDM, EDM) CRX where I plan to cobble together all of the best stock options from every market (that I can reasonably get ahold of), some aftermarket but mostly just for performance items when better than stock. My plans are lofty, but attainable. And I have some of the stuff on this list already.

• [Done] rear disc swap (90-91 Si trailing arm)[/*]
  • [Done] lowered. adjustable suspension (tokico illuminas and tein s.tech)[/*]
  • [Done] new rotors (10.3" in front, stock size rear)[/*]
  • [Done] big front breaks (hubs from Civic EX)[/*]
  • [Done] 40/40 break proportioning valve[/*]
  • [Done] 15/16" master cylinder and brake booster (from Civic EX)[/*]
  • [Done] traction bar (Innovative Mounts competition bar)[/*]
  • [Done] stainless steel braided brake lines (goodridge g-stop)[/*]
  • [Done] reupholstered 1988 Si front seats (ocdank)[/*]
  • [Done] fender braces (cburke)[/*]
  • [Done] UKDM cluster[/*]
  • [Done] SiR leather wrap steering wheel[/*]
  • [Done] add JDM and LHD EDM SiR seat recliner levers to front seats (lever for getting out of back seat)[/*]
  • [In progress] add sound deadening and insulation to cabin (dynamat and raamat ensolite)[/*]
  • [Done] JDM rear seat[/*]
  • [Done] Remove pin stripes[/*]
  • Heated seats[/*]
  • SiR front end, hood, fender blinkers[/*]
  • EDM power adjust glass lights[/*]
  • SiR glass top[/*]
  • SiR hatch, quarter and door glass (bronze glass)[/*]
  • b18c engine swap (all motor)[/*]
  • intake, header, exhaust work[/*]
  • power interior (windows, mirrors) with LHD controls[/*]
  • bass tubes[/*]
  • alarm[/*]
  • honda integrated keyless entry (buttons on key, not separate dongle)[/*]
  • and more stuff I can't think of[/*]

The new project car, 1988 CRX Si Y-49 (Barbados Yellow).
It has 182k miles, newer tires, and is largely stock.
It has KYB struts with coilovers on it.
Has JDM door panels in it
Paint is fading, especially on bumpers.
Something was repainted, cause the colors don't match 100%, probably was the hood.
Power windows and keyless entry

The Good
Under 200k
I can sell the JDM door panels
New PIAA wipers
Already has power window motors and unlock solenoids installed
Body is in pretty good shape
Didn't see rust
Has Si lip

The bad
It has no AC (I thought all Si's had AC).
Dent in the back of the hatch where a spoiler would go
Lighted windshield squirters
Hatch struts dead
Pretty badly broken but working climate control (with no AC button)
Need 88 Si door panels to replace the JDM ones
Driver's side seatbelt doesn't retract
Power windows are really slow and big drain on battery, could just need a greasing and adjustment
The keyless entry and remnants of stereo install might mean bad wiring
Seats are shot
Overall not too bad
Vents over climate control are gone. The previous owner placed a piece of fabric glued to the vent surround in place of the vents.
Missing gas pedal

Front view

Side view

Looks more faded in the pic than in person, but the paint is faded. Oh and there's a tiny bit of orange peel on the sunroof

Engine bay D16A6, alternator looks new

Passenger door panel

Driver's seat

Passenger seat (foam is seems pretty good)

Cluster. That button is connected to the keyless system and locks or unlocks the doors

Power window switches installed in the console next to the shifter. missing vents above climate control.

First off to whet your whistle.... New floor mats!

Here's some new berber floor mats I had made from Custom-Fit Auto Accessories (contact them via email if you want some mats that hold up better than the regular plush/pile carpet mats do):

Yes! Look sweet :)

Close-up of fabric (graphite with black trim)

Close-up of logo (silver thread)

Some of the previous work:

Back seat resto and install
License Plate Mounting
90-91 CRX OEM Rear Trailing Arm Bushing Replacement
Cargo cover hinge reinforcement
Resto of rear interior plastics with VHT vinyl dye
Parking brake color restore and testing forever black and VHT vinyl dye
APC yellow fog light install

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You pay for quality, mats were $124.95. The logo was $20 of that price. I have a set of dstuning mats that I paid $89.98 for (came with logo and back mats that fir a civic and not CRX, I think they now have the correct rear mats) that are in horrible condition after 2 years (check the link in the first post for the thread with pics). I think paying ~$35 more for berber is a wise decision, but unfortunately I didn't know about them when I bought the first set.

·
Registered
889 Posts
oh im sorry i didnt know i was on H-T where everyone acts like a dick when someone asks a simple question.

Baker said:
crxblues said:
so how would i go about ordering the same ones?
Hmm maybe contact them via email and ask what they offer or can do for you? :crazy:

optiquest242 said:
contact them via email if you want some mats....

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Robb said:
Should have made a replica of the OEM black mats with white strip.
Yeah I asked them and they said they couldn't do the stripe, otherwise I would have!
Robb said:
btw, dont I get any credit for mentioning/introducing customfitautoaccessories ? :|
Yeah dude, thanks for telling me about them. I first found your civic berber mats on HT and then I think I posted a photo of them here in a thread about mats.
crxblues said:
oh im sorry i didnt know i was on H-T where everyone acts like a dick when someone asks a simple question.
I did mention contacting them via email because they only sell the lower quality ones via their ebay store, so just email them and ask for CRX berber mats. You can have any colors you want for the berber, trim, and logo. Plus you can have the logo put anywhere you want and oriented any way you want (or no logo). Its really a custom order.

·
Registered
889 Posts
if all you wanted to do was hold my hand all u had to do was ask. dont be shy.
Baker said:
crxblues said:
I didn't think you needed you hand held to take initiative, especially since you answered your own question as did the original author...... :?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Look'n good Opti! :)b

crxblues said:
if all you wanted to do was hold my hand all u had to do was ask. dont be shy.
Baker said:
crxblues said:
I didn't think you needed you hand held to take initiative, especially since you answered your own question as did the original author...... :?
:focus:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
added some pics of the new 88 to the original post.

I had originally planned on using my black 91 Si for the project, but since I am going to put the glass top in I figured I would go for the 88 so I can fit in the bronze tint sir glass in the doors and also I can get some OEM window visors that will fit correctly without modification. Plus the seatbelts are already in the pillars, a mod I would have to do to the 91 to fit the LHD panels and controls in cleanly.

current question on my mind.. build up a Y-49 with glass top, or paint it black? I'm not hot on the yellow and would normally opt for black or silver or maybe white.

1 - 20 of 297 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.