Avenged Sevenfold00.00%
Black Label Society00.00%
Other ozzfest band00.00%
Don't Like / Don't Know Any of Them240.00%

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey all I'm going to ozzfest on sunday just wondering who else on here is going to a OF show this year. I just heard from a friend that ozzy is going to headline the second stage, so that kicks a~~!! Remember you can still get tickets for some shows online, so go and buy 'em. And always remember to rock out with your c--k out!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
As a greying old hippie I find it both fascinating and disturbing that young people are listening to the same bands I was listening to nearly 40 years ago.

In the Summer of Love (1967) I saw the Grateful Dead play a free concert in the Pan Handle section of Golden Gate Park. I saw The Who play Quadrophenia the night after Keith Moon passed out on stage and I saw Balck Sabbath at Cal Jam I in 1972.

Back in those days none of my young contemporaires would dream of going to a Benny Goodman concert or listen to Frank Sinatra records- that was dinosaur music from a dead, ancient culture.

Flash forward to today and the young people are excited to go see Ozzie, lining up for Who tickets and hoping to "make the scene" at a Tony Bennet show. My collection of "Classic Rock" CDs (hits from the Nixon Administration) has been stolen by my teenagers.

Has contemporary music completely failed to reach the modern audience? Or do we have an appreciation for timeless music? Or do your drugs work best with Head Banging Music?

Enjoy Oz Fest, stay safe and avoid the Kool Aid.

Scott

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
I've seen Ozzy a couple of times, once with Rob Zombie (good), once with Sabbath (best) and once I went to Ozzfest, but honestly it sucked. That's the reason I don't go to festivals for the most part any more.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Scott, I think its going "back to the roots." I know I find myself listening to more classic rock, especially in the garage lately. Most of the new music out there just doesn't have the lasting songs of the bands of older generations. Most of today's music is forgotten in months.

The other reason that I could be listening to more classic rock is the station doesn't play the same crud every hour on the hour, like the modern rock stations do. They also seem to play less commercials, and for some strange reason, I hear more of the music I listened to in HS on a classic rock station than a new rock station (Stone Temple Pilates, Soundgarden, Collective Soul, Alice in Chains, ect.)

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:rockin:

Ozzfest was unbelievably awesome. I went with a group of close friends that love the bands and music of ozzfest even more than I do, so I was destined to have a great time. We got there early (8:40 am) and the doors opened at 9. Early birds like us got a wristband so we could get into the "pit" area of the second stage. We went straight there, and I would say we were some of the first couple hundred people at the concert. The music was hard, fast, and loud, and the crowd was rowdy. Just what I was hoping for. The weather was ungodly hot and the sun beat down, at one point we were feeling the heat, but after a short break after exiting the pit for lunch we were back in the thick of things.

I would have to say a few bands were endured rather than enjoyed, but most had something going for them, whether it was a semi-unique "singing" style, onstage antics, or a band member that could shred on his guitar well. Once Ozzy came on in the late afternoon, we were reanimated, the crowd went nuts, everyone jumping around, mosh pits popping up here and there, girls flashing their goods, and waves of crowd surfers coming over the top of me. All in all the second stage pit was worth my ticket price right there and then, even with hours of music still ahead of me. I got into the song "Crazy Train" enough to point to both of the people next to me, and then point up, signaling my desire to be lifted above the crowd. A short ride to the front of the crowd later, passed along by countless ozzy fans, then being grabbed by the security people at the barrier so as to not crack my head open (as were fellow crowd surfers next to me), was an experience that was above and beyond anything else at the concert and one I cannot put into words.

Ozzy looked very strange to me when he first came on stage, this old body, with a smile on and glow in his face that seemed to belong on the face of a child, I could tell he really enjoys performing and it's no wonder he still does and probably will continue to do so. That was the high point of ozzfest 2006 for me. After ozzy, the crowd cleared out, a couple friends and I jumped the barrier rather than wait for the masses to file out the few exits, and we grabbed some dinner and rested. After a couple crap bands on the main stage, we headed to our seats in the pavillion.

Two of my friends had pit tickets for the main stage, so they split at this point. High points of the main stage were when the lead singer from Pantera came out to do "Walk" with Avenged Sevenfold, Disturbed (from Chicago) performing all forms of greatness and thanking the south side for their support when they were getting started as a band, and of course the headliner System of a Down, which I love but was surprised that I didn't enjoy their set as much as I thought I would. However, we were not nearly as close to the action as with the second stage and by 9 pm after twelve hours of music I was damn tired. By eleven when it was all over I was ready drop and the only thing that kept me awake was the ringing in my ears. I'll definately be back in '07 and this time with pit tickets for the main acts.
:rockon:
(s**t that was a lot of typing)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.