Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am brand new to this community so I am not sure if anyone has asked this (I did look around and didn't see anyone). I am wondering if you all know of anyone that does restores of these cars? I am sure a lot of you do for yourself personally but I am the least handy person you will ever meet but I am willing to pay for a restore. Is it best to just keep an eye on CL and ebay? Or has anyone worked with each other on something like this? Probably would do something in the next 6 months but thought I would ask on here to get the conversation going.

·
Registered
238 Posts
These are not like muscle cars where there is a massive aftermarket support system to restore them. A restoration of a CRX is a multi-year labor of love of searching out good original parts or forking out big bucks for them. I think many of us love the "hunt" of finding the parts and that is part of the allure of a really clean CRX.

With all that said, if you want a really clean one and are not a restorer yourself, it is absolutely in your best interest to just buy a very nice one from the get go. I would not buy a project in need of restoration.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Contact a body shop and see if they can source all of the rubber on the body. I collected almost everything for mine myself, over the course of many years. Glass shop was able to source all new glass, as well as the rubber seals for them. Glass out full exterior (not removing interior or engine) paint job is going to be $15-30k depending on how much they have to repair. I had a lot of fiberglass work done, so mine is on the upper end of that range, and it's not even done yet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hello,
I am brand new to this community so I am not sure if anyone has asked this (I did look around and didn't see anyone). I am wondering if you all know of anyone that does restores of these cars? I am sure a lot of you do for yourself personally but I am the least handy person you will ever meet but I am willing to pay for a restore. Is it best to just keep an eye on CL and ebay? Or has anyone worked with each other on something like this? Probably would do something in the next 6 months but thought I would ask on here to get the conversation going.
There has been some high priced CRX's on BAT. Probably best to find the cleanest car you can afford. As pointed out, these cars are hard to find resto parts for, if you want to keep original. If you want to modify, that might be an easier find.
What part of country you from? Certain areas lend themselves to better preserved original cars. Any clean CRX will do or a specific model?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for the feedback and you are absolutely right. While I wish I could restore one myself and could understand that pain but then the joy on the flip side...I dont think that is in the cards for me. So I think to your point looking for the cleanest one I can find is the way to go. I assume BAT is bringatrailer.com right? If so, I just signed up for that today even though I have been watching it for a month or so.

I would like a 91 si. I live in Denver, CO but have no problem flying and driving or shipping it.

So with all that said - BAT, eBay, and CL. Any other sites I should be keeping an eye on?

Thanks again for the advice, a great group of people here.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I assume BAT is bringatrailer.com right? If so, I just signed up for that today even though I have been watching it for a month or so.
Yes. Did you see that one that sold this week? Super minty, low mileage, almost $40k.
Can use that as a rough guide for pricing I guess.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Clean "driver quality" CRX Si will run $5k to $12k. Clapped out junkers that used to be $500 cars are now $2500 cars.

Super clean OEM original low mileage can command more, but I have seen some very nice ones change hands in the $8 to 10K range in the last year. I think the market is still accelerating on them and clean ones will be $12K or more shortly, even with higher mileage.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes. Did you see that one that sold this week? Super minty, low mileage, almost $40k.
Dang, almost $40K
I've been debating to convert my 88 Si back to OEM from STS, but to sell if 10-12K after that wasn't worth the effort. But almost $40K, now that has my interest.
Ok low miles, 80K, second owner 88 black original Si. all original, wheels,seats, no
wrecks,straight everything works. Original paint, but needs repainted What you all think worth? STS pic and HS pic.
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Sky Tire

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Clean "driver quality" CRX Si will run $5k to $12k. Clapped out junkers that used to be $500 cars are now $2500 cars.

Super clean OEM original low mileage can command more, but I have seen some very nice ones change hands in the $8 to 10K range in the last year. I think the market is still accelerating on them and clean ones will be $12K or more shortly, even with higher mileage.
This is great and helps me know what to expect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, $40k, ouch. Hoping not to spend quite that much but that one was interesting to watch for sure.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have no idea, the market is all over the place with used 'race' cars. My SiR I bought back in 2015 for $7500 from a guy that was importing Skylines as a side hustle. He bought the CRX from a mechanic at Feel's in Japan, it was already color changed from black to red (pretty decent job on that too) and had all of their bolt-ons they offered for the chassis, as well as their ECU. He took it to a show to promote his business, and was told by the judges that the Mugen kit on the car was fake, and they didn't give him best of show. After that, he put it up for sale as he was moving back to Japan. I snagged it sight unseen a couple of hours after he told my brother (who bought Skylines from him previously). I really just wanted a glass top SiR, and didn't care if the kit was real, was going to go back to OEM with it. I thought the price was steep, but still took it. Car had been sitting until last year, when I took it to the body shop to have it painted back to the OEM black. Well well well, during the tear down, verified the kit is in fact real. Unfortunately the front and rear bumpers had been 'repaired' multiple times, so I spent a lot of money getting all of the body filler out of it, and basically rebuilding them with extra fiberglass. When I found out the kit was real, that's when I pulled the trigger to restore it, get it fitted better than OEM, and do the glass out full repaint with a custom black I chose out of multiple different blends I was presented.

When it's all said and done, I'll have probably close to $75k into it. People are just as irrational as the market, because we make the market. I never plan to sell this car, I'll be buried in it, and I'm going over the top with the whole build. Two reasons for that: car has about 50k miles on it, and during the tear down, NO RUST except a little spot rust under the passenger side door sill that was taken care of very easily. I'm just one of those guys that can't leave his **** stock.

If I didn't have more projects than fingers, I'd be interested in buying your car, and doing another K20 powered CRX.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have no idea, the market is all over the place with used 'race' cars. My SiR I bought back in 2015 for $7500 from a guy that was importing Skylines as a side hustle. He bought the CRX from a mechanic at Feel's in Japan, it was already color changed from black to red (pretty decent job on that too) and had all of their bolt-ons they offered for the chassis, as well as their ECU. He took it to a show to promote his business, and was told by the judges that the Mugen kit on the car was fake, and they didn't give him best of show. After that, he put it up for sale as he was moving back to Japan. I snagged it sight unseen a couple of hours after he told my brother (who bought Skylines from him previously). I really just wanted a glass top SiR, and didn't care if the kit was real, was going to go back to OEM with it. I thought the price was steep, but still took it. Car had been sitting until last year, when I took it to the body shop to have it painted back to the OEM black. Well well well, during the tear down, verified the kit is in fact real. Unfortunately the front and rear bumpers had been 'repaired' multiple times, so I spent a lot of money getting all of the body filler out of it, and basically rebuilding them with extra fiberglass. When I found out the kit was real, that's when I pulled the trigger to restore it, get it fitted better than OEM, and do the glass out full repaint with a custom black I chose out of multiple different blends I was presented.

When it's all said and done, I'll have probably close to $75k into it. People are just as irrational as the market, because we make the market. I never plan to sell this car, I'll be buried in it, and I'm going over the top with the whole build. Two reasons for that: car has about 50k miles on it, and during the tear down, NO RUST except a little spot rust under the passenger side door sill that was taken care of very easily. I'm just one of those guys that can't leave his **** stock.

If I didn't have more projects than fingers, I'd be interested in buying your car, and doing another K20 powered CRX.
Wow, great story bro. ...and fun to hear/learn from others that are super passionate about this car.

"we make the market" - 100% - and I think as this age group gets older from this time period (I had a 88 CRX in high school) and we have more discretionary income (maybe) :) which probably helps drive the market up - just a random guess on that and probably completely wrong. I may just have to get used to the fact that I am going to have to pay a pretty penny for one of these. ..and I am ok with that.

I appreciate at least the thought of doing the project but I think if nothing else this has taught me that I need to just be a bit patient (not a strong suit of mine) and I will find one in the next 3-6 months.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With all that said, assuming you need a truly spotless one and are not a restorer yourself, it is totally to your greatest advantage to simply purchase an extremely pleasant one consistently. I would not buy a task needing rebuilding

1 - 14 of 14 Posts