Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just recently replaced my PCV valve which cleared up the surging idle drama that my car was turning into. I sat and listened to the engine run and it sounds like the PCV keeps clicking, constantly. I figure this is an issue. Is there any way to fix this? Should I just replace the hoses, or is there something more complicated going on?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be the injectors, but they're really ridiculously loud (I can hear clicking above engine noise when passing on the freeway). Should they be that loud, or are my injectors starting to go?

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
i can hear injectors outside of my car sometimes. :shrug: i can also hear my valve lash too when it needs adjustment.

how about you start with trying to assess the situation and troubleshoot?

can you isolate the sound? have you tried to clean out the pcv valve?

maybe its defective.

maybe you installed it wrong.

·
Registered
731 Posts
tubafreak said:
It could be the injectors, but they're really ridiculously loud (I can hear clicking above engine noise when passing on the freeway). Should they be that loud, or are my injectors starting to go?
Are you sure you're not describing detonation 'cause that's what it seems like you're describing to me. This is mostly a wide open throttle condition correct? If so, then detonation (main cause of engine death) is a main suspect. Reason why I suspect this is because most times you can't even hear valve train noise when accellerating hard but you definitely can hear detonation.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope, it's constant throughout the rev range, it's just really loud. I'd thought that it might be detonation, but even when I went to the local speed shop and filled up with 100 octane (not cheap, holy crap!) the sound was still there.

BTW, I pinched the PCV hose shut and the noise didn't change. That was with a brand new PCV valve, and yes, it is installed correctly. Hence, me thinking that maybe it was the hose (I haven't checked the lower hose, maybe I'll try that).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, got a hold of a mechanic's stethoscope and listened to stuff. The PCV is working correctly, the click was just so quiet that I couldn't hear it over the engine (as it should be, the stethoscope helped on this one). The clicking is either the injectors of the valves. I'm due for a valve lash adjustment, so I guess I'll find out if that's the thing once I do that.

It'd better not be the crank bearings, I don't want to have to rebuild my engine until I have the money to do it properly (and a bit higher performance). From the sound locating I did I'm pretty sure it's the upper part of the engine.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll check that, I'm due to change the oil too. Would a neodynium magnet be sufficient (I'm thinking it would be)?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I checked my oil, no metal particles at all. OTOH, I pulled my valve cover off and checked my valve clearances. Sure enough, one of my intake valves was ridiculously loose (I could move the feeler guage up and down). I tightened it up and sure enough the sound went right away.

You've got to love it when you're problems get fixed. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.