Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
I have heard the phantom grip basically doesn't work. I have 2 friends who have them, one on a modified, 300whp second gen DSM, the other is my good friend's MX6. The one on the Eclipse doesn't seem to do very much at all, he had it installed at a tuning shop in California, where he's from. The one on the MX definitely works. Marty (MX6 guy, my best friend) installed his own, and he said that he thinks the problems people have are from incorrect installation. I didn't see him do it, but he said something about how it requires very low clearances to the diff housing to work, and he had to play with it a bit to make sure it would be in right. He thinks the shop that installed the other one didn't do it correctly. Also there are different models for different applications, and the Eclipse might be pushing too much power for the one he has.
Personally, I would say get a Quaife or OEM LSD, or get a Kaaz if you want the clutch type. I haven't heard of problems with any of those, and though they do cost a bit more, remember it's a real LSD. If you get the clutch type, make sure you break it in correctly, no matter how boring it is or how stupid you look pulling figure 8s in a parking lot.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have a machined duplicate of a phantom grip in my crx hybrid trans and it works much better than an open differential. ...... granted it's street value is 1/4 to 1/5 the cost of a real totally functioning limited slip and not as repeatable as a real limited slip. But it certainly makes it harder to turn on your arms. If you were to make a phantom grip yourself (if you have access to a vertical mill) it wouldn't cost more than 20 bucks to make at most..... free to some.

Note- diff pins were not hardened on l3 transmissions until '91 or '92.

If you have the money and don't want to ever think about taking your transmission off and dealing with the differential ever again than just get the quaiffe. The phantom grip isn't up to the task for autocrossing but for general street driving it's probably ok, but what's the point of having a general use differential anyways?

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Well for what its worth I installed a PG in my crx and so far so good.
I'm currently somewhere in the 190ish HP and I have noticed a difference in the traction.
I know that some here speak from experience with the PG,but alot of people cut a product down solely from what they read off the i-net.:evil:
I have one summer of experience with my PG unit and I like the difference over the stock open diff.No I dont hardcore race mine,but I do "open her up a bit" when I do drive.
So if it means anything I like mine so far.:shrug:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Another option that I've heard is not super horrible, is the OBX ones that they are selling on ebay these days.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had just seen a knock off in an ad in HondaTuning, then forgot about it.

Just out of curioustiy for pricing these days I checked ebay, after the Mugen one was posted, and found the PG.

hmmm... 2 Mills in the ID shop, I do have some aluminum stock laying around, and could probably come up with some steel. Anyone have the dimensions :p

I was just curious as to how they worked, or if.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.