Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so recently I've been looking at replacement clutches and after reading reviews for the different manufacturers i've noticed that the only truly reputable one is Exedy. I've herd mixed thoughts about almost all other companies. I just wanted to hear what you guys have to say about them. Here is the one I was looking at getting. I originally wanted to get a clutch/flywheel package, but I cant find a stage one Exedy with a flywheel. I think it will be worth a few extra bucks to get a decent clutch though. Are any of you guys using one of there and if so, hows it working out?

Also, is 7.5 lbs to light of a flywheel for street use?

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Exedy makes good stock replacement clutches, but there are other brands out there for aftermarket "stage 1" type stuff. I personally have an ACT Streetlite 12lb flywheel with an ACT HDSS clutch/pressure plate. It's a good setup, revs quick and grabs plenty.

·
Registered
794 Posts
OK I have some cheap ass after market clutch in my car right now that I really hate. It's so hard to press to the floor that my leg gets tired after awhile. It also does not release at all until you have let it out half way then it just releases all at once. I want to get a clutch that is easy and smooth to use and will grab and release when it's supposed to. What do you guys recommend?

For example my dad's 2004 Honda Civic has a really loose clutch that I like because it takes no effort to use.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
downest said:
Exedy makes good stock replacement clutches, but there are other brands out there for aftermarket "stage 1" type stuff. I personally have an ACT Streetlite 12lb flywheel with an ACT HDSS clutch/pressure plate. It's a good setup, revs quick and grabs plenty.
I looked at that setup and its great, but expensive. This is comming out of my *shallow* pocket. I'm just looking for something that will last and hold a little more power than a stock clutch. I dont really need anything to fancy.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
IIRC, he got a good deal on it used..... :D

if you want bettter then stock ,just slightly, get the exedy

i have an ACT XTSS with a fidanza flywheel and love it. Ive used ACT clutches over and over again with no issue. the only clutch i bought and hated was my centerforce, that hting was a piece.

[email protected]

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate it guys. I think i'm gonna go with the Exedy clutcg and Fidanza Flywheel. I dont plan on putting much power into this engine, so I think the ACT one may be a bit overkill. Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Exedy also makes a clutch/flywheel combo, Marty and stef are both using them on their CRXs. I believe it's a 30% stronger than stock PP and a 12 or 11 pound flywheel.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One more question, How many splines dose the Si tranny have? All I need to know is if there is a difference between any of the transmissions. I dont want to end up with the wrong number of teeth on the disk.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
I run an exedy clutch with 0 problems whatsoever.
I also run a ACT streetlite flywheel that has made my engine more responsive.
All that and I run my setup boosted at 10 psi.
Exedy FTW...

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Love my exedy... just pulled it off today and after 2 years of use, it still looks brand new. I had it on my ZC, my D15, and my A6. Its going back into my 11.5:1 mini-me.

I "upgraded" to a 90-91 flywheel and disk for the 212mm disk instead of the 89's 200mm. Its supposedly 70% stronger than stock. Not a lot of pedal effort, and can be feathered.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I just bought the stage 1 Exedy and a Fidanza 7.5 lb flywheel. I'm really looking forward to trying it out. Hopefully I'll be able to add another positive review of it. What should I do as far as break in? I've herd 500 miles of careful use.

Not a lot of pedal effort, and can be feathered.
What exactly is feathering it?

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I just meant that it wasn't overly "grabby". You can let the clutch out easy without it shocking the driveline too much like some of the racier clutches.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.