Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, right now I'm quite happy with my '89 Si. It runs great, gets me to where I need to go, and uses very little gas. That said, I'm like every other car guy on the planet, I like to buy stuff for my car to make it faster. I was thinking about swaps, and after thinking for a while I though I'd just ask you guys. What kind of realistic end budget would I be looking at to do various swaps (B16, B18, K20)? Not just the motor and the like, but everything (various bits and pieces that they don't tell you about when you start).

Something to keep in mind, I've got full 24 hour access to all kinds of welding and shop equipment and don't mind getting my hands dirty. I'd most likely do a wire tuck while everything was out of the car (gotta keep it pretty).

Thanks in advance everyone.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
My ZC swap cost 1600... that includes EVERYTHING; new front brakes, clutch kit, ECU, distributor, header, spark plugs, oil, coolant, broken tools, rented tools, new tools, engine, paint, degreasers, ect.

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
My B16 swap is over-budget... frankly I'm ashamed of how much it's costing me. :cry: The good news is that it's ready to go in next weekend, and I know it's done right.

Anyway here's a breakdown:

OBD-1 B16A swap w/YS1 - $1649
Hasport mounts - $300
Hasport shift linkages - $100
Engine shipping - $250
Axles (Autozone) - $128
Action clutch - $415
Action 12 pound flywheel - $240
Honda parts - $917**
Skunk2 shifter - $119
Skunk2 magnetic drain plugs - $36
spare dx harness - $38
Rywire DPFI-OBD1 B16 harness - $325
shipping harnesses to Rywire - $13
AEM Hybrid CAI - $215
M/T pedal assembly - $56
ICON zero-play shifter mod - $210
poly shifter bushings - free (part of my ES master set)
some used parts - $13
MOMO shift knob and boot - $130
NGK plug wires - $68
Odyssey battery w/terminals - $107
battery bracket - $54
SMSP high-flow cat - $128
spark plugs - $20
GM synchromesh trans fluid (3 qts) - $39
Mobil 1 10W-30 (5 qts) - $24
Honda coolant pre-mixed (3 gallons) - $27

Total so far: $5621 :shock:

**OEM parts replaced:
throttle cable
clutch cable
speedometer cable
hood release cable
alternator belt
crankcase complete gasket set
cylinder head complete gasket set
axle seals
oil pump
water pump
timing belt
timing belt tensioner
upper & lower radiator hoses
thermostat
cap & rotor
fuel filter
oil filter
flywheel bolts (8 )
pressure plate bolts (6)
a bunch of little shifter parts for my auto-manual swap

As you can see there are a lot of items in there that are entirely optional and/or unrelated to the swap (but I'm doing them at the same time so they go on the list). There are some that are more expensive because I'm going OBD-1, and even more that I only need for the simultaneous auto to manual swap. This list doesn't include labor and I couldn't get an LSD trans (+$300). Prices are rounded to the nearest dollar, and include shipping and tax where applicable.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, a ZC swap shouldn't have cost $1600 5 years ago. My engine was supposed to be a drop in affair, complete with distributor and ecu... damn Lucky Star

·
Registered
779 Posts
rex2nr said:
If it makes you feel any better, a ZC swap shouldn't have cost $1600 5 years ago. My engine was supposed to be a drop in affair, complete with distributor and ecu... damn Lucky Star
Wow wow wow...you got your engine from lucky star? As in Toronto Ontario lucky star? They screwed us over too! Those bastards. Sold us a H22 and GSR with over half the sensors were broken.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Yea, I got 2 ZCs from them

Both were missing sensors, distributors (which were included in the price), manifolds, ect.

One of them wouldn't turn over... the valve train was destroyed.

They sure sold engines that were guaranteed to start :rolleyes1:

Then, attempting to contact them, got nowhere except a reply of we didn't sell you any engines

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another (related) question, what about building the D-Series a little bit? Like, a streetable N/A setup.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
it can be very fun... I can't wait to get mine done.

Downest's car was pretty quick, and it wasn't even tuned or running properly. I can't imagine what its like now, from what I hear.

My setup:
D16A6 block, crank, rods
P29/ZC/D16A1 pistons, .020 over
D16Z6 head (head work will come in the future... cam, valve train, P&P)
Yamaha R6 ITBs
P29 ECU tuned with Crome
El Cheapo 4-2-1 header
AEM adjustable cam gear

I've spent around 300 on it all so far... I just need my rebuild kit for the bottom end (bearings and gaskets)

D16A6- free from friend's rotted out car
P29 pistons -$150 shipped off ebay, came with rings and wrist pins
D16Z6 head, P29 ECU- swap for MPFI with cbp_crx.. $30 to ship
D16Z6 valve cover- $30 from Dren
AEM gear- $50 from mattminerdotcom/downest
ITBs - $52 shipped, ebay :p

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, that's less than I thought. What kind of machining was needed?

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
tubafreak said:
Wow, that's less than I thought. What kind of machining was needed?
I still need to get the cylinders bored/honed, but I'm considering doing it myself. I have a set of good calipers, so it is possible. I haven't had the crank looked at, but everything else on the engine looks good.

a local shop quoted me:
40 for cleaning
100 for honing/boring
75 for decking the block
225 for balancing (which I've read is not really needed, especially if using stock parts, but I am using non OEM pistons... I'm not sure if they are balanced to each other.

I didn't get a quote for polishing the crank.

I think I'm going to skip the decking.. its never overheated, and the deck is clean. With a stone hone, I should be able to bore the block, but I'm just a bit nervous about it...I screw it up and the engine will smoke forever, or at least til I get .040 over pistons :p

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
mattminerDOTcom said:
jfrolang said:
ICON zero-play shifter mod - $210
everytime i see this my wallet runs away and hides.

[email protected]
I think it's worth it. It's not a huge amount of money, I've blown more than that on a night at the clubs. I was uneasy though too, until "test-driving" Jonny Black's car at the Florida meet. I was sold when I felt it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.