Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm a little bored... talking to my roommate about getting another CRX. Anyway I'm kind of facing a dilemna, so here it is.
I'm most probably getting another black Si (91) from a friend of mine. He's the second owner, it has just under 70k on it (he bought it in 96 with 15k), rust free. It has Konis with GC custom rates, Tanabe rear sway, relocated Odyssey battery, and some other random little things which I'm not sure will remain on it. It has brand new Falken Azenis RT215s (I just sold them to him) and the OEM Si wheels. The interior is near perfect, the climate control is not broken, the seats are ok, like mine, no rips but a little worn. They aren't the original seats, those were stolen and replaced with other Si seats. The only other flaw on the interior is part of the rear panels is cut away because he had a NS strut bar. The engine is stock, it's had I/H/E on it before, but otherwise it's a stock never been opened A6, but he's autocrossed it a lot (no oil burning, perfect compression), I know this guy takes care of the car, it was his first car. The only performance mod right now is a thermal exhaust, with the stock Si header.

Now I was planning originally to swap stef's HF motor into my car and sell it to a friend, keeping only the motor with bolt-ons, and my wheels/tires. My current car is really really rusty, I think it might make some of you cry. The friend that wants to buy it doesn't care, he just wants a fun car that gets decent mileage. He wants to keep the Illuminas and GCs on it, resoning that he would get better fuel economy if he didn't have to slow down for corners. This guy will drive it hard, no doubt, he has a Festiva for a beater now that he wins autoXs with, stock (he also has a one of a kind turbo2 swapped FB). He offered me 1000 for the car and to pay me to swap the motor.

My other option, which I've started to think more about, is to keep my car. Since it's pretty beat up I wouldn't mind racing it, and I'm planning to get more serious with racing. If I kept it, I would probably part out just about everything I could from the interior, including the seats and sunroof, and swap the A6 into that and put the mini-me in the new car. I don't know how much all the interior would be worth, but aside from the climate control and the worn driver's side bolster (no tears), the interior is mint. I wouldn't be spending a lot on it right away, I would probably autoX my daily driver and keep the old car off the road at my dad's house over the winter, so it's not like I would be putting a lot into it right away. The reason I'm considering this is because I'd like to have a car I could take to track days and stuff and not have to feel terrible if I wrecked it, where I would if I put a rust free low mileage CRX into a wall or something.
The other benefit of this is that I could make some money by starting to part out the car now. I have a friend with a gutted hatch and a little part of me thinks it would be fun to drive around in a gutted, raw car, especially since I know it wouldn't be permanent. It would also save me the hassle of swapping the HF motor into it, and I would have 2 CRXs that I could share parts between. I would also have a second car that would be drivable if I needed it, something I would like right now when I don't have my car.

What do you guys think? Either way, I'm getting the new car, I just need to decide how to proceed with the current one, I will need to make some money with it to afford the new one at the end of the summer (I won't be getting it until I come back from Yale in August).

·
Registered
778 Posts
I sold my near mint door panels for $100, but shipping was a bitch and ended up costing me $60. I recommend either selling them on ebay or finding somebody local that wants to buy them. I threw away all of the rest of the interior stuff. I was giving it away for free but nobody was interested.

You can really lighten up a CRX by doing that. Dry ice and a hammer to the sound deadening material. The AC gone gets rid of some weight too. Same with changing to an aftermarket header. I think I may put my Si seats into my DX and buy a racing seat or two for the Si. Just something cheap like a kirkly (sp?)

·
Registered
734 Posts
Rust-free, low-mileage, unmolested CRXs are getting tough to find. I'd say keep your current car as a track whore and keep the new one nice. A few years from now when people are asking astrnomical prices for clean stock CRXs, you'll be glad you never stripped the interior down, parted it out, stuck it in the wall, etc.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sound deadening is already gone on my car, and I have a DC header.
I don't know if I would neccessarily track the new car anyway, but keeping this one would give me the chance to do some track racing, that's the point. I'm sure I would get the itch eventually and do it though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.