Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using Plexus on my taillights for some time now, and while it gets them pretty shiny and glossy again, I've got some old deep swirls and fine scratches there that aren't being improved. I'm using a 3M microfibre cloth to apply and buff (and folding the edge piping inside) so I shouldn't be making matters worse.

I notice that Meguiars has Clear Plastic Polish, but haven't picked up any yet to try it. If its just going to maintain what I have, I'll use up my Plexus first, but is the Meguiars restorative?

Also, I don't want to fubar the CRX decal in the center by doing anything too aggressive -- even if stickershop can make a replica (can you?)

Anyone using anything they swear by, especially that brought dull, scuffed taillights back to glossy?

·
Registered
85 Posts
To be perfectly honest I used sandpaper. Use about a 400 grit and scuff them up really good (also a good time to remover the DOT raised lettering, prevents wax and dirt build up). Then used some 1200 grit. After that go back with some 3M buffing compound. Just avoid the CRX decal. Brand new looking tail lights. Great afternoon project. Take a look at my car just to get an idea of how well it works.

Click on Nina's CRX
http://myweb.cableone.net/slowmfneil/crx/Neal_and_Nina.htm

·
Registered
87 Posts
NinaAndNeal said:
To be perfectly honest I used sandpaper. Use about a 400 grit and scuff them up really good (also a good time to remover the DOT raised lettering, prevents wax and dirt build up). Then used some 1200 grit. After that go back with some 3M buffing compound. Just avoid the CRX decal. Brand new looking tail lights. Great afternoon project. Take a look at my car just to get an idea of how well it works.

Click on Nina's CRX
http://myweb.cableone.net/slowmfneil/crx/Neal_and_Nina.htm
They look great, but that sounds like a project I could screw up pretty quick.

Do you have to rebuff them over time, or is this a more permanent fix?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
You can't buy the Special Edition taillight decal separately from honda... I'm sure I could make a replica for you, but in order to make it accurate, it wouldn't be a cheap decal. I could die-cut one out of silver vinyl for cheap, but the original decal is actually silver printed onto clear (which is a *lot* more expensive to produce).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Opticon said:
They look great, but that sounds like a project I could screw up pretty quick.
Yikes, yeah they look good, but I don't know if I could get over making that first scuff with the rough sandpaper ... and I'd be stewing about leaving a different finish around the decal because I didn't dare sand near it ... even with stickershop's skills to recreate it if I screw up.

You've more guts than I, NinaAndNeal. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have done about 4 sets of tails and have yet to screw any up. It seems scary so there for you are cautious. Just take you time. Those are the original decals on my tails and you really can't tell a difference between where I sanded and where I didn't. I do go though about every six months and wax them just to give the a good gloss but it is a pretty permanent fix. Other than that if you take care of them from that point on they will continue to look great. You could probably skip the 400 and just use the 1200 but that I have not tried. Oh it also works great on the bumper lights too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts