Honda CRX Forum banner

please help me get my car to STOP BEEPING!

7K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  1990crx 
#1 ·
ok, here's the deal. this is the passenger door. when i am driving and hit a bump(or anything now since my ride is stiffer), the seatbelt light comes on and the car starts beeping like the door is open. so, i have to open the door and close it. not hard, but firm, if that makes sense. and i have to put the seatbelt on also. it'll stay for a while, but then i hit a bump or something and it starts again. now as you can imagine, it is quite annoying. BUT imagine an audiophile like me trotting along listening to my stereo, and the damn beeping starts. and it happens just about every 2 or 3 miles. unless there is a fix, and as long as it doesn't affect anything else, i'm cutting wires. i need to stop this, SOON. please help. thanx in advance for any and all help.

#4 ·
OMg thats wut those wires are. I am stripping my car and was wonder "wtf are those wiring going to". I thought it plugged into some aftermarket butt warmer or something :oops:

:?: So where do those wires lead 2 and is there a way to take them off the harness so there are 2 less wires :?: because all the wires get all jumbled up and go into the plastic things lol. and i loss track of them and where they all eventually go.

#5 ·
well i just unplugged it, drove home and it still does it. any ideas?

if it helps, while i am driving i can pll the door towards me and it'll stop for a little bit, but the best fix is to close the door hard.

#6 ·
My highly un-educated guess would be that your door triggers are worn. They use a ground. Perhaps you have a wire that might be grounding out somewhere. I've experienced a similar problem. My tech re-wired the whole car, firewall back. I hate ****ty conversions.

#8 ·
The passive restraint system (door mounted belts) uses a switch in each door latch to disable the belt retractor locks when you open the door. Sounds to me like the switch is messed up. Replacing the latch would be best... You might be able to get it replaced for free by your local Honda dealer since it has an effect on the seatbelt's ability to function in a crash.
If not, you could disable the whole retractor-lock disabling circuit (sorry, can't think of a better way to say that) by unplugging the 2-wire connector under each seat, and the 2-wire connector for the latch switch in each door. That would leave the seatbelt control unit thinking the doors are always closed and the seatbelts are always buckled. Just don't open the door with the belt buckled - the retractor could lock, resulting in the momentum of the door suddenly pulling the belt tight.
If the system keeps beeping after unplugging that stuff, it could be a wiring issue, or it's possible the retractor locks are stuck in their disabled position and the system is simply warning you. If that's the case, get it fixed - the seatbelt on that side would be useless in an accident.

#9 ·
This is similar to a problem I had. Does your horn work? Does your brake lights work? If not there is a horn fuse under the hood thats blown. Mine blew and every time I hit the brakes the seat belt warning light and buzzer would go off. They are all tied in together.

#10 ·
Ok well you know how on a fridge there is the little button for the light? When the door closes it hits the button and the light goes off...
Well in some cars that's how simple it is... There might be a button on the door frame somewhere. If so it might mean the door is lose or something and it's not pressing the button. If this is the case then there is an easy fix. Same thing happened to my 89 Hyundai Excel lol! Just get a penny and some duck tape :) Put the penny over the button then press it down over it. Then use the tape to tape the penny to the car so the button will always be pressed in! Worked great for me anyways :lol:

#12 ·
There is such a switch on CRX's, but it's L-shaped and slides back and forth. There's no button that can be held down.

It's a ground based system, as was pointed out, and it's possible that the switch is corroded. It's held on by one screw, pull it off and see if there's any corrosion or rust around that area.

The only other option I can think of, is the beeper is faulty or the connection to it is loose. Take the rear view mirror off and there's a small circuit board up in that housing. There's a black cylinder on that board, that's the beeper. I pulled it off.

#13 ·
That L-shaped switch controls the dome lights. The door-mounted seatbelts use a separate switch in the door latch. The seatbelt control unit isn't even connected to the L-shaped switches. It is on the other hand connected to the overhead light/beeper assembly.

#16 ·
how much did the complete re-wiring cost you?
Well, i don't know for sure. It was lumped in with other stuff. He put in a new C&R radiator, FAL fan, Comptech header, adjusted the timing belt, cleaned up the engine bay (removed AC, PS, etc.), installed a stereo, and removed the dash and rewired the car. All that cost me $1200. Parts included. The only thing not on his bill was the stereo components.

#18 ·
sorry. no i have not. my horn does work. i tried unplugging the harness under the seat that did nothing. i took the L-shaped trigger off completely. nada. i am at my witts-end. i think i'll try the circuit board behind the rearview next.

#19 ·
AHA!!! i shut it the hell up. it was that little thingy in the rearview. i pulled it off and as soon as i took off the harness, it shut up. now, if i can in fact remove that little black cylinder, will it affect anything or is that it's sole purpose. and two(much less important) what can i do to fix the problem? cause eventhough it will not beep, the little light in my cluster still comes up. i know it's anal, but it does bug me. believe, with the beeping gone, i will learn to live with it, but i'd like to fix the problem, especially since someone said it might affect the seatbelt itself. thanx to jfrolang for the winning suggestion.

#20 ·
1990crx said:
now, if i can in fact remove that little black cylinder, will it affect anything or is that it's sole purpose.
That's it's sole purpose, though it's function is a warning beeper... It's warning you now. If your brake warning light came on frequently while you're driving, would you take out the bulb because it's annoying?
1990crx said:
[...] and two(much less important) what can i do to fix the problem?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.