Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

With so many smart and handy guys on this site, I thought I'd see if anyone has any ideas on my problem. (I'm gonna ask on Yahoo Answers too; we'll see which site has the most knowledgeable people! :D )

I have a broken drain plug on my pool filter canister. It sheared off, so that I cannot use the bottom of it to unscrew the rest of the plug. It is hollow and smooth on the inside, threaded on the outside. Is there some kind of tool that can be used to unscrew the remainder of the broken piece? For example, when you break a light bulb, you can use a needle-nose pliers, spread open, to unscrew the metal base of the bulb -- I need something like that, but something that's really designed for that use, that can apply more pressure, to unscrew it from the inside.

Any ideas? I'd love to go to Home Depot and ask for a "widget" of some sort, to save me the repair bill.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm no expert, but depending on how big the pipe is, you could use some videgrips or something to get a solid grip on any part that still sticking out and try turning to get it off. Otherwise I guess you were right, and would hae to find sometihng that put pressure inside to be able to unscrew it.

-Sulk

·
Registered
276 Posts
Not sure it will work, but you can try to use some "easy-outs" for turning out headless bolts. A drill bit might even be able to fit and dig in enough to torque it out.

·
Registered
633 Posts
What's the inside diameter? If it's small enough like said before an easy-out will work. Also what's it made of? steel, brass, plastic?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys. I think an Easy-Out or something like it was what I had in mind. I found a "tub drain remover" at Home Depot, but they only had one size, and of course, it's the wrong size. Tried a vise grip on the edge that's sticking out, but it's just in there too tight; maybe it's glued in place!

So frustrating; I know just how to fix this but I just can't physically do it. :oops: Guess I'll have to wait for the repairman.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How about using the needle nose pliers? Stick the pointy ends into the drain plug, hold the handles wide apart so the tips dig into the PVC a little and maybe you can back it out enough so you can grab the edge with vice grips.

Good luck.

·
Registered
633 Posts
You should be able to use a hacksaw blade by itself and carefully cut a slot in it from inside out to the threads, that will take all of the tension off it. Just be careful not to damage the outer threads, is that part metal?

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I'm sure the flow of the pipe is MORE than adequate for the drain....

So, why not get a piece of PVC that'll fit inside of it perfectly, and then use the PVC glue to glue it in there... then, get antoher slip-on connector/adapter with a threaded-opposite side, and then thread in a new fitting or whaatever you need to fit in there?

Easier solution: You could also Insert the smaller ID piece, and then glue on another threaded section OVER it, so that you have a continuous threaded piece coming out of the canister again that you can thread whatever you need onto...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.