Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Input is appreciated...

When i am engaged in gear and slowing down with the rpm up past 3500, If i tap the gas pedal (or sometimes dont have to but it wont be as loud) when the rpms decline to anywhere from 3500 to 3000 rpm either one loud pop or a tight cluster of pops occur. My question is... is this a backfire sometimes or is it just backpressure or fuel burning off in the exhaust. I do have a fuel pressure regulator with psi set at 38 for now. Also have msd coil and cap which i thought would burn the gas off better to eliminate this, intake, header, exhaust, no cat. Any clue if this is bad for the engine or if i dont need to worry about it.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Sounds like an after-fire (I think that is the term). This would be fuel burning in the exhaust, and could be because you don't have a cat, timing is off, ect. It also could have to do with the fuel pressure. Basically when you are letting off the gas, the engine runs rich, and the extra fuel is burning up in the exhaust.

A backfire is when fuel and air fire back out of the intake. It is caused by bad timing. The plugs fire when the intake valves are open.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.