Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have just completed an MPFI swap on my 89 CRX with D16A6 head/block.

The car idles perfectly and revs all the way to redline, but it is definately holding back. When taking off from a stand still it just doesn't go like it should, it's still smooth and doesn't miss or anything, it just feels like it's bogging a bit. Please note it did this BEFORE the MPFI swap as well, but it was bogging a lot more than it is now that the MPFI is done. I'm NOT getting any codes, and the plugs indicate I'm running rich.

I replaced the O2 sensor, fuel filter, air filter, and spark plugs while doing the conversion, and the dizzy is brand new. Compression checks out as well. I did not replace the plug wires yet, however, and they are pretty corroded. The gas in the tank (less than a quarter tank) is also around 4 months old. Could the combination of old gas and bad plug wires be the reason that the engine doesn't have proper acceleration or could it be something else?

·
Registered
21 Posts
My friend (skunk u on here) had the same problem with his mpfi swap, it ended up being something in the distributor. Maybe he will chime in on this issue.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
timing belt a tooth off?? both before and after. . .. possible if you put it back together the same way it was..

My a6 civic sedan was a tooth off. . . . . once i fixed it it was like woah. . . . .free extra power. . .

I bought the car like that. and thought it was ust the way it ran.. . . .and the guy i bought it off seemed to know alot about it.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
I'm siding with Toxic on this one.
I've had my timing off one or two teeth before and had the same results.
Double check your timing.Its not hard to be even one tooth off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the repilies guys. I decided to check into the timing issue. I don't know a whole lot about timing at all, the MPFI swap was the biggest thing I've tackled with cars so far, anyways, the previous owner had just replaced the timing belt, so I asked him some questions about the car and he didn't even realize it had a D16A6 in it (it's a DX car). So I'm guessing he set the timing according to the D15B2 guidelines. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the A6 timing is a little different, so how would I go about adjusting it to the correct A6 specs? My car is running rich so I'm guessing I need to advance it? Sorry for the newb question....

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys just wanted to update in case anybody else has this problem.

I advanced the timing belt one tooth on the cam gear, and WOW. I cannot believe the difference that just one tooth made. Before it felt like I was trying to take off in second gear, and the car would slllllooooowwwwly reach redline. Now with the different timing, I'm going through the gears in the blink of an eye, the car also sounds a lot healthier. I'm having trouble keeping traction in the first two gears with brand new Pirelli's on. I drive a 93 Civic Si with I/E as my winter car, and the CRX definately pulls a lot harder, and I thought my Civic was pretty quick.

Anyways so that's what it was. Thanks for the help guys! I'm definately a lot happier with the car now!

Here's a couple of pictures to show you what she looks like:

http://www.mountaincable.net/~egodwin/Rex01.jpg
http://www.mountaincable.net/~egodwin/Rex.jpg

....and the engine bay (taken after the swap, but just before I put the new dizzy on...

http://www.mountaincable.net/~egodwin/engine.jpg

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hmm...maybe I should check the timing on the B18, for a 'torquy' engine it has terrible bottom end, and horrible gas mileage when I don't beat it up at all...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.