Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was not sure where exactly this went so i put it in the lounge since i know that it obeys the lounge rules at least. if it goes in the classifieds or stock garage, moderators would you please transport it?

hello all.

i will apologize in advance for the Dostoyevsky-like lenght of this post.

i have been lurking in the background for a few days reading over past posts seeing how this site worked, the unwritten rules, how much technical info there was versus the "this part is mad tizzight yo it added 45hp according to my butt dyno go buy it now because of my subjective opinion on it and no real fact or specs" info. i like it and due to financial constraints, i have to sell my 96 dc2 ls and have found an 88 HF for sale that i was gonna try to haggle down into the triple digit price range. any way i have been emailing him for several days getting info on it since he hasn't put up any pictures yet which makes me mildly suspicious given the state of some of the other crx's i've seen. like no bumpers on the car, baseball sized rust spots in the middle of the hood, things like that. anyway here's the ad on craigslist
----------------------------------------------------------------
1988 crx hf FOR SALE, great body, runs great - $1000
Date: 2007-01-26, 5:36PM CST

I have a 1988 honda crx hf model, white, 5 speed tranny, with over 200,000 miles, and runs strong still. I have a new pm7 crx si ecu in the car, and revs a little higher than the stock ecu, revs faster, and dumps a little bit more fuel. I do have a failry new primered 91'si front bumper for the car, not installed, the new one isnt bad, but previous owner painted horribly and looks rough. Two sets of rims and tires for the car, set on the car now, needs new tires soon, i have a apexi exhaust I just recieved from a friend cause he bought my recent catback. Car does have crack in windshield on passenger side.

Pros:
car has a lot of miles, but still runs great.
starts up fine even on cold days.
great body.
never been recked.
coilover suspension included.
excellent gas mileage.
the lightest of the crx's, plus no rear interior, so now even lighter.
would be extremely fast if motor swapped, very very light car.

Cons:
You will have to get an inspection done, reg. is current
prob needs an alignment soon, never had one
car has civic seats, so if over 6'0ft, its a bit small for headroom.
needs new tires soon for rims on the car now.
alot of miles on car, would be the ultimate street car if motor swapped.
no rear interior, previous owner cut most of it up, so I stripped it.
exhaust as of now not installed, not loud though.
door panels are roughed up.
needs ac/heater unit, I may have one for the car.
no stereo in car, but has ability to be wired in.
previous owner tried to put new carpet in the front, not bad, but needs to be alignes for sturdy-ness.
paint on car is good, but needs new fenders cause of small dents, and hood is fine except for small dents by honda logo.

I'am selling the car due to lack of money to finish, bought it on thanksgiving, and I dont have much timne to put into swap nor the money at the moment. I have another car, my focus thats being boosted and head work done and need the money for that. Will make a reasonable offer for the car, hate to see it go, but needs a new home.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

before i share my original suspicions about this post, i'll put up the email correspondence i've kept up with the owner since i saw this ad.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

ME
been asking around about the si's on craigslist but no one seems to
be answering. can you send me some pics of the exterior and interior?
what kind of coilovers are on it? spring rates?

SELLER
The pics will be posted soon, hopefully by the end of this weekend, I will include full pics of interior and exterior as well as motor shots. As far as the coilovers go, the previous owner kinda cheaped out on it, and went with no name's. There a little bit thicker than the ones on my focus tho, and are adj. even lower, so at least they should have a strong stiff bounce to them.

ME
cool. well stock rex shocks shouldn't be too expensive at the pick n pull. you say the exhaust is not as of now installed, were you planning on installing one soon or is that just to say that it comes as is with no exhaust? and to what extent does it not come with one? no muffler? no header back piping? just some questions. very interested in car

SELLER
No, the stock shocks arent expensive at all, nor' are my 2001 focus shocks. The exhaust is off the car at the moment, so theres only a header on the car right now, its not loud but does smoke cause of no cat. The reason is beacuse I have another friend that has a rex and he bought the catback system that was on mine when I bought it. I have his old apexi exhaust that was modified to fit his stock system. It does have a cat on it, but one piece needs to be welded on to be installed cause it was cut to take off. I also have the 91' si primed front bumper that will go with the car as well, and the original ecu. In order for it to be good to go, is a new oil pan gasket, its got a small leak, exhaust put on, and an ispection sticker, than your all good to go, oh, and some new tires pretty soon to be on the safe side. Any other questions bro, feel free to ask.

ME
oh about the inspection, is the sticker just expired or is it not on the window? what year was the pm7? i thought the si ecu's were pm6. and the extra set of rims, are do they come with the car? and if so, do they have tires on them? on the lightness of the car, how hard does it get to drive on a windy day? my 3rd gen integra wiggles a little in high crosswinds but it weighs about 1000 lbs more than an HF. are either sets of wheels stock steelies or a stock alloy wheel? and the missing stereo, is it just the head unit or the speakers also? you say no ac/heater unit, is that the blower under the dash or the compressor, evaporator, and heater core? is the si bumper included? oh and is there any rust anywhere? do you know the maintenance record on things like the timing belt, water pump, oil pump, radiator hoses, thermostat, things in general that are neglected but will destroy the car's ability to run if left alone long enough? how's the clutch? on the oil pan, is it a small like like oozing oil or is it leaving drops? i had a blown cam shaft plug on my integra and it just oozed oil slowly and dirtied up the bay more than anything else just trying to get a bearing on how things are. plan to snag a y8 head and a si block and slowly build that up in my room and transplant at a later date so the engine in this just needs to run for now and not fail expensively. i think that's it in terms of questions for now. just gotta wait for pictures i think.

SELLER
Ok, the inspection is on the car expired. not too sure on year of pm7, and the extra set, aka, two rims that come with the car have tires, but are the sock steel ones. I have mazda black rims on them now, but needs new tires soon. the lightness of the car isnt too bad on windy days, as the car is very areo dynamic, all my bros crx's are fine as well. no speakers are in the car, and needs a head unit, car is pretty much stripped out. no, has all componets, just no control panel for them, as most of the crx's are broken. Yes the si bumper is included, but is only primered, not painted. I personalyy have not found rust on the car, I havent looked to far into depth in it. The maintinece on the car has a new plugs and wired, but does have a small oil leave in the oil pan, which just needs the gasket. other than that, I have driven it around a lot around town, and had no problemw whats so ever.The clutch is brand new, I d say only a few months old, and is very strong, and not sloppy. Also, all gear ratios are strong too, goes into every gear like a charm.

ME
got inspired and looked it up. the PM7 ecu is from an 89-91 JDM EF3 with the DOHC ZC. and also the EDM A20A. do you know which mileage bracket you owned the car for? like 125K or 90K or something like that. how's the road noise? i can't believe that it would be that quite with no interior nor an exhaust. when you say that the rear interior is stripped, you mean to the sheet metal or just to the carpet or just the plastic panelling? sorry for all the questions.

SELLER
No, no problem, if your wanting to know the mileage for the car its at 202,000, its an all stock motor from the factory. The rear interior is completely gone, down to metal, doesnt look too bad, I was going to put carpet in their but I have another project, and its my daily driver so I never got the time to do it yet, carpets only like $20.00 from pep boys, and it will be more than enough to cover the hatch part. The road noise is ok, it all depends on the surface of the road really, and I guess the tires you put on your car. And yes, I too thought that with only a header for the car would be loud as hell, but its a lot quieter than most civics with a muffler, crazy! Its got a mean rumble when you back off the accelerator and off the clutch, sounds neat.

ME
backfire much w/o fuel compensation when off-throttle? heh sounds like character to me. just wanted to get a visual on how the back looked. so where does the carpet stop? at the back of the seats or did the previous owner just try and make floor mats? oh and does inspection give you any **** about it only having one mirror b/c its an HF? how big is this crack in the windshield? i like that about safety glass. you could have a humonguous shatter pattern in it from a trash can or something big and it would still hold up.

SELLER
Backfire, not really, just a mean grunting rumble sound, no flames or anything, lol. The carpet stops after the front seats. As far as the HF models, mine has both mirrors, and rearview, so that shouldnt be a prob, and the crack in the windshield is a very thin crack, but leads to the top to bottom.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok almost done. the only qualms i have left is the somewhat sketchy maintenance record. i'll probably replace the timing belt and water pump and radiator hoses as soon as i get the parts and time just to be on the paranoid side. what do you think is a reasonable haggling point for a car in this condition? i was thinking 800-750 is ideal but just wanted to get a reference point from some owners. also, its in austin if that helps with market value.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Welcome to the community, I think that if I was going to buy that rex, I would offer somewhere between $750-$850, and that might be a little high. I couldnt see spending a grand on one that was pretty much stripped out. If the body is in pretty good shape, and rust is at a minimum, it might be worth that. If you ever get pics of it, or when you go and look at it, make sure you check it over well for rust, that is a big problem with these cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i picked up on the rust is common thing going over the restoration forum. he said he doesn't see any but that's questionable. and the HFs had only one outside mirror right? or has the paint thinner gone to my head again?

·
Registered
60 Posts
i'm pretty sure canadian hf's had 2 mirrors, because they were required to.
or the guy might have installed a mirror, its not that big of a deal.

get the vin from him, and do a carfax for sure, to check for any wrecks or leans on the vehicle.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not having stock CRx seats will annoy the heck out of you. i'm 5'10 and mine has integra seats. I can not wear a baseball hat without the brim hitting the roof. Just my two cents...

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
HeadOfMax said:
Not having stock CRx seats will annoy the heck out of you. i'm 5'10 and mine has integra seats. I can not wear a baseball hat without the brim hitting the roof. Just my two cents...
I guess you've never had the pleasure of HF stock seats then?

·
Registered
711 Posts
atomikpunx said:

get the vin from him, and do a carfax for sure, to check for any wrecks or leans on the vehicle.
Canadians never got the hf trim.

·
Registered
60 Posts
coldtotouch said:
atomikpunx said:

Canadians never got the hf trim.
rex-owned.

damn, a year ago that never would have happened.

i do know i have driven 88-89 with both mirrors.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I think most HFs cruising around these days have one installed, even though they didn't have them from the factory. Stef's car came with them:

damn I love that pic!

Every CRX I see in the junkyard is missing the passenger mirror, those HF owners are vultures!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well on the bright side, if i get it, i won't have to worry about messing up the back carpet carrying parts back from the junkyard. the only thing that really worries me right now is how badly the oil pan leaks. rather, not knowing how bad it leaks. then there's the issue of the missing exhaust. then the no name coilovers. then upholstering the interior. then getting the front bumber and fenders up to speed with the rest of the car. and eventually replacing the windshield.

yeah its a project car that will end up being a road trip car as well.

·
Registered
20,417 Posts
rnewton said:
well on the bright side, if i get it, i won't have to worry about messing up the back carpet carrying parts back from the junkyard. the only thing that really worries me right now is how badly the oil pan leaks. rather, not knowing how bad it leaks. then there's the issue of the missing exhaust. then the no name coilovers. then upholstering the interior. then getting the front bumber and fenders up to speed with the rest of the car. and eventually replacing the windshield.

yeah its a project car that will end up being a road trip car as well.
Def sounds like more work than i would get into anymore. If i purchased it, but it would be a parts car for me.
GL with it if you decide to pick it up.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thats what I was thinking, if I was to buy it, it would be a parts car for me as well. Dont let that scare you away though, if you think it is worth it, then go ahead and pick it up, there is tons of knowledge on this site, you could have her in good shape agian in no time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.