Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a handful of prewired kits I have made for Retained Accessory Power. This allows for the Radio and accessory circuit in the vehicles ignition switch to retain power UNTILL the door is opened.
I've had this wired into all of my cars and always had it be useful.

Here is an example of a kit I have produced..

Simple. Comes with everything. Grounding screw, ziptie, wires pre-cut (and LABELED) and relays are clipped together for easy installation. I'm only asking $15 Shipped for my friends here at the CRXCommunity.

Another circuit I have implemented into my cars is a security feature.
There are two types I have used. One is latching normally open and the other is non latching.
The purpose of these is that the car CANNOT be started until a secret switch is depressed and/or held (depending on which kit you want)
I prefer latching because you can hit the hidden button once and not have to hold it in while you start the engine.
Non-latching is also good security if it is made aware that you DO have a starter kill in you car, and the switch can't just be pressed once.. Ideally, this means that someone would be pressing every button you and switch you have at the same time (not possible) and then turning the key as well.

Of course, I've also done a combination starter/kill and push-button start.

If anyone has any ideas for something they would like electronically in their vehicle, please feel free to let me know. I'm always interested in new ideas.

I've installed pretty much everything in vehicles over the years. From super rice, to clean and classy.
Also, I have worked for FoMoCo as an installer.

Thanks for reading,
~Rocco

· Registered
3,141 Posts
Rocco, I like these. I've installed retained power too, very useful.
I have an idea, use the latching security relays with a keyless entry unit. Use the lock signal to disable, and then unlock signal would be required to enable. No switches or buttons needed in the car!

· Registered
565 Posts
zrickety said:
Rocco, I like these. I've installed retained power too, very useful.
I have an idea, use the latching security relays with a keyless entry unit. Use the lock signal to disable, and then unlock signal would be required to enable. No switches or buttons needed in the car!
I did this for my son's car.

However, the way the DEI alarms are set up, it will energize the relay all the time when the car is alarmed, causing the relay current to always flow whenever the car is alarmed. I know one relay coil is not a huge drain on the battery, but these things add up.

So I put an N-channel MOSFET transistor on the DEI output, and used that to switch the security relay coil ground. That cuts the current usage when the car is alarmed to a few uA. If you make that into a kit, don't forget the blocking Schottky diode to protect the transistor from back EMF when the relay coil is de-energized. Also don't forget the high value pullup resistor on the gate.

· Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright alright, both good ideas and great input! I just happen to have some lying around which is why I'm only asking 15 dollars lol.
Just for the record, as far as a starter kill goes, I only use existing normally open momentary circuits inside the vehicles wiring ;) there are a few choice circuits I'm not willing to say aloud lol.

Appreciate the input, fellas :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.