Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I buy a CRX Si with a B16 when I have a CRX Dx with minor mods?
Yes.425.00%
No.956.25%
Nothing better than preventing a CRX from being riced out, save it and sell a kidney.318.75%

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There is a CRX near me selling for relatively cheap ($2,300 obo) with a B16A2 swap that needs some work.

Last time I looked at it there was rust above the D/S quarter that would need to be repaired, possibly a rotting seam under the bumper. It needed a replacement sunroof skin (rusted through there). The battery had been relocated to behind the passenger's seat with no sealed box or anything of the sort so the wire would have to be run further into the rear of the car and a box installed.

It had the radiator fan hooked up directly to the battery, not connected to the wire harness, so I'm not sure of everything involved in getting that to work properly. I presume that may be hell in a handbasket for getting the fan to run at a certain temperature.

The motor mounts were generic, but the whole car shook when started and running. Although this doesn't bother me I'm wondering if that causes any issues down the line with reliability?

It is an 1991 Si in Rio Red, so while its not the lightest it is relatively quick. Definitely needs some work, but so does my '91 DX. I'm wondering should I, a 20 year old with a full time job take on this beast or should I just go ahead and buy some B mounts and linkage for mine and swap it?

Having another CRX would allow me bragging rights :D, the ability to DD one and modify the other without serious time constraints, and already give me one swapped. At the same time only making 30k a year and have bills to take care of, so the extra $800 a year to insure, and the daunting task of fixing the rust on both my DX and that might be a monetary strain.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I would probably buy it, and keep my current one. Although, I would try talking the person down, even though it has a swap, it does not sound like it is in the best condtion.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I voted "NO".

For the reasons you described above:
JustAnotherRex said:
-rust above the D/S quarter that would need to be repaired,
-possibly a rotting seam under the bumper
-needed a replacement sunroof skin (rusted through there)
-battery had been relocated to behind the passenger's seat with no sealed box or anything of the sort so the wire would have to be run further into the rear of the car and a box installed.
- radiator fan hooked up directly to the battery, not connected to the wire harness, so I'm not sure of everything involved in getting that to work properly. I presume that may be hell in a handbasket for getting the fan to run at a certain temperature.
-The motor mounts were generic, but the whole car shook when started and running.
1. You don't want someone elses, hack job project that they could not finish.
2. Think about your financial status, you don't want to spread yourself thin, have something come up and NOT be able to pay for it(whether it be car related or not).
3: For the condition that it is in, IMHO, regardless of swap, it is expensive for a half ass job.
4. Who knows what else is wrong with it and how the swap was done.

Sounds a lot like a project i tried to take on.
I had a '91 Crx Si with a built b16, well more was wrong with it that i thought, got in over my head and ended up cutting my losses and taking a big hit on it.

Just not worth it. Don't bite off more than you can chew.
You'll think i'm crazy, but i wouldn't offer more than 1k for it.

Concentrate on one project at a time & do it right the first time.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
At the same time only making 30k a year and have bills to take care of, so the extra $800 a year to insure, and the daunting task of fixing the rust on both my DX and that might be a monetary strain.
I voted No because you seem concerned about money.

Fixing rust on 1 CRX is a hassle, let alone trying to out flank the rust on 2 at once. Talk about a nightmare!

If you expect to put 500 into rust repair, triple that before it's all said and done, then double it for hte second car. :(

If I were you, I'd put a little asside each month towards the rust repair project, and then tackle it all at once. grind it out, replace pieces as needed, and just enjoy driving your CRX in the mean time.

As for that other one, you listed a whole can of worms to fix it. That's probably a LOT of money and time you already seem concerned to spend with it. I say pass on it unless you can talk him down to 1200-1500.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sound advice from both of you! Thanks, its just hard for me to pass up on a sunroof and a swap. Patience isn't always something I've been great at, and I'd like my car to be fast now instead of later ;)

In any case, I'll talk with him and see if I could get him low enough it wouldn't be an issue to use it as a beater while I fixed up mine. I doubt I can talk him to 1500 or so though, considering he's probably put close to 1k in it since he bought it from the last time I looked at the thing.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I vote NO also. Take your $2300 and buy your own b16, or better yet, b18 and some mounts and bolt ons and an obd1 upgade and put them on your own car. This orther one, albeit an Si, sounds way too rusty and has way to many problems from the lackluster mechanic, er, i mean previous owner.

·
Registered
111 Posts
jmart said:
I vote NO also. Take your $2300 and buy your own b16, or better yet, b18 and some mounts and bolt ons and an obd1 upgade and put them on your own car. This orther one, albeit an Si, sounds way too rusty and has way to many problems from the lackluster mechanic, er, i mean previous owner.
+1 Agreed

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I also voted - NO.

Based on evil rust and the fact that you can find another rex in the future when you have more saved up. You'll be in a better seat - both financially and inside the car.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
JustAnotherRex said:
Patience isn't always something I've been great at
Not just you, i was young and impatient once. :D
I would say that is one of the biggest problems i have seen with younger ppl owning and working with cars. They need to have it now and will settle for whatever, just as long as it looks cool.

JustAnotherRex said:
I doubt I can talk him to 1500 or so though, considering he's probably put close to 1k in it since he bought it from the last time I looked at the thing.
I doubt he will get $2300 for it too. 99% of the time, never get back what you put into a vehicle.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
baker423 said:
JustAnotherRex said:
Patience isn't always something I've been great at
Not just you, i was young and impatient once. :D
I would say that is one of the biggest problems i have seen with younger ppl owning and working with cars. They need to have it now and will settle for whatever, just as long as it looks cool.

I doubt he will get $2300 for it too. 99% of the time, never get back what you put into a vehicle.
Well, I'm currently trying to save a grand to get body work done right (metal ground out, new metal welded in, quarter reworked where it needs to be done). Finding a good quality body shop is something I haven't had time to do lately, but I did get a couple of quotes.

I'm going up to PA this coming weekend to pick up some used Hasport mounts, an LS tranny, shift linkage, A/C bracket, and clutch for cheap. So I'm going to get body work done, my MPFI swap in somewhere between and eventually buy a longblock.

I've always wanted a GSR block anyway! :twisted:

I guess I should start a build thread at some point considering I've got a new door and fender to put on to correct deer damage, new metal to be welded in and a B series (hopefully if money permits) by mid-summer.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I bought another one this past november... my 86 is all stock minus the exhaust... the other one has lots of mods... I loved my 86 so much that I really wanted to buy another one... so now I have one for summer and one for winter... if you wanna buy another CRX I say do it... they dont make them anymore, and if you can get it for a good price, even better!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.