Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please help out. I have an 89 CRX Si it runs fine but sometimes it wont start. This usually happens when its hot out. Plus when i stop for gas and i try to start it right after i fill er up it would start but die right away. At times when i'm at a stop light the rpm's go up and down. All of this happens when its hot out. PLEASE someone help with info about this THanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Capuchin said:
Can someone please help out. I have an 89 CRX Si it runs fine but sometimes it wont start. This usually happens when its hot out. Plus when i stop for gas and i try to start it right after i fill er up it would start but die right away. At times when i'm at a stop light the rpm's go up and down. All of this happens when its hot out. PLEASE someone help with info about this THanks
I just started to have this exact same problem today with my 88DX. I stalled out my car throwing it into reverse and it would not restart. After 5 minutes, the car started fine. Then I turned it off to see if it was just a fluke and the car wouldn't start again. I waited 20 minutes and the car started right up. I let it run for 3 minutes to get it back up to operating temperature and turned it off. It won't start again. It cranks fine every time and I listened for the fuel pump which starts pumping for a few seconds to build pressure as it should. It does it for about 5 seconds and then stops. Should it do this or go continuously?

Is this the main relay or something else?

help!

·
Registered
88 Posts
i had a similar problem. from what i read when it gets hot the points on the main relay expand and do not make contact and the car will not start. try taking it ot and resodering the points. i did that and haven't had trouble since. i would try to start my car to go o work at 2:30PM and nothing as soon as i got home at 11:00PM it started just fine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
A new main relay fixed my problem. I can't find any broken solder connections on my old one though. That critter gets hot though, the clearcoat over the solder is burnt in a lot of places.

·
Registered
88 Posts
maybe i should've thron ths in before. you might wanna resoder anyway. cause we didn't find any broken points til we it heated up and then you could see the gap. but if you got a new one already, save the suggestion for next time. unless you can take it back and get your money... 8)

·
Registered
46 Posts
1990crx said:
maybe i should've thron ths in before. you might wanna resoder anyway. cause we didn't find any broken points til we it heated up and then you could see the gap. but if you got a new one already, save the suggestion for next time. unless you can take it back and get your money... 8)
I'm going to resolder mine and save it as a backup.

·
Registered
416 Posts
lysinger said:
I'm going to resolder mine and save it as a backup.
Definately a good idea. I just replaced the Main fuel relay on My Mom's 93 Integra. I kept the old one so that I can resolder it then give it back to her to keep in her glovebox in case she ever gets stranded again.

I also recommend keeping an extra working igniter in your glovebox just in case.

·
Registered
50 Posts
took out the main relay. That was a real pain. Popped off the cover, none of the solder points looked like they were in poor shape so i'm not really sure that's the problem. Maybe disconnecting/reconnecting improved the connection... I'll find out in about a week if I have no problems starting the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
JLAudioFan said:
where is the main relay located? I'm not exactly sure.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mainrelay.html - info about main relay function and location of the relays in some Hondas.

I was just having this exact same problem this week. First I noticed that the engine will turn but car didn't start right away. I first thought it had to do with the fuel system or it was because i was running close to empty (to see how much mileage I can get on a full tank :lol:). I filled up my tank after I was done at the gym around 12am and the car started fine.

Now, today after my dentist appointment, I started my car, the engine turned but car wouldn't start right away.

I'm glad I bought this hakko portable solder iron. I'm going to resolder the connections. Thanks for the good suggestions guys.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.