Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it was my fuel pump or distributor, now I'm not sure. Sometimes my car will start right up. Sometimes it will take a long time of cranking, then you'll hear it start to fire just a little, then it will start and idle really rough for about ten seconds, almost like the engine is out of balance or something, but then it will start running smoothly. Then, I have to keep my foot on the gas until it warms up some and can keep going by itself. Sometimes, if I start up and go without letting it warm up much, it will die even if I have my foot on the gas. Then, it will either start up again, or sometimes it won't start up again until it has sat for several hours. Now, my engine is carbureted, and I've wondering if when it dies and I try to start it I've been drowning the carb with too much gas so it won't start? Is that possible? But it has been having trouble starting most of the time, especially since it has been could. Also, I've been driving it every day to work which is an hour away and I haven't had any problems with it on the highway, the engine runs great for a 20 year old motor. Any suggestions on what it could be? thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I did most of that several weeks ago, the guy thought it was the distributor, but couldn't get one so changed everything else, except I think the spark plugs.

Here's the thing, the car will start up(takes a while sometimes) in the mornings after it has sat all night and in the evening when I get off work after sitting all day. The problem is usually when it has only sat for a few hours. Like last night, it started just fine, ran for about thirty seconds, then died immediately. It didn't sputter or anything, just died. Then it started and died again, and another time, then it wouldn't start at all. I let it sit all night, and went and it took some time, but started up and worked just fine all the way to work.

The shop guy says its the distributor and he has one now to change. I just don't want to spend that money without knowing thats most likely what it is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't replace the spark plugs or the distributor. The thing is, it works fine in the morning and afternoon once its warm, my drive is an hour long and it is plenty warm. Its only happened ever in the evenings, when its sat for a few hours at most. On another forum they said it sounds like the distributor or main relay, but wouldn't the main relay not matter on a carbureted engine?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
When you turn the key to the ON position (not the ignition position) after the car has sat for a while, you should be able to hear a slight humm coming from the fuel pump. (The fuel pump initially pressurizes the fuel lines when you turn the car on) Do this test when it's really quiet so you can hear it. (turn off the fan, the radio, etc) If this doesn't occur, it means that it's something with the either the fuel pump or the circuit. I'm not sure if the main relay is problematic on the 1st gens or not. It's a big problem on 2nd gen CRX's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've done that and can never hear anything. I told the mechanic when I took it in the first time that I thought it was the main relay, then he told me it wasn't because it was a carbureted engine. Is the circuit different than the main relay?

The weird thing is just how it will only happen in the evening, even though it drove fine last night. But it will start, run for a bit, then die, then maybe start for a second two or three more times, then die. Even though a couple of times it has died, then started up and run fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.