Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all as you might know I am trying to take off my rear bumper so that I can replace it. I thought this would be an easy task but it is turning into a dilemma. I have located all of the screws that are holding the bumper in place. It's just that they are all too rusty to unscrew. So I thought that I might be able to go in from the back and unscrew the nut. This however proved to be impossible because there is simply no space to fit socket wrench between the body and the bumper.

SI I am stuck not knowing what to do about my problem. If I could weld I might just weld on a piece of metal to the screw to give it some leverage. But other than that I can't think of any other way.

You guys have any ideas? I think Baker said to try using vice grips to get it off but all it did was slip off.

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
FooFighter said:
So I thought that I might be able to go in from the back and unscrew the nut. This however proved to be impossible because there is simply no space to fit socket wrench between the body and the bumper.
If i am understanding correctly, That won't work either, because there is no nut to unscrew. The bolts bolt into the rear bumper support. The threads which the bolts screw into are in the support.

As i said in a previous post about this, Try taking a pair of vise-grips and clamping down around very hard on the rusted bolts. This is what i have done and it has worked for me when trying to get the bumpers off of my Crx and former Civics.

You will have to take some time and tear the hell out of the head to get a grip on it, but eventually they should break free.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i had the same problem with the front bumper bolts. i had to use a easy out.. (not so easy out when it brakes). but it did the job.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Are they screws or are they bolts. If they're screws, the use of an impact screwdriver might work. That could also work with a socket as well as long as its not a cheap impact driver. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
whoa whoa whoa. hold everything. are you trying to remove the bumper from the car, or remove the bumper skin from the bumper beam? The skin is held on to the beam with a bunch of screws with big flat phillips heads. the beam is held to the body by four studs that are held by acorn-like-style nuts if i am not mistaken, as well as two screws in each fender lips area. remove these screws first. Then there are two nuts on the inside, and two on the underside of the car. the inner ones can be removed without removing and plastics. you will see the raised areas are the bottom perimeter of the back plastic pieces. use a 12mm socket on there. then go underneath the back of the car. there should be two plastic covers, on eon each side, each of which are held on by two plastic wellnuts (read: bitchnuts). take the plastic covers off and you will see the nuts behind them. use the same 12mm ratchet down there. Before pulling the bumper off you must realize that the wiring for the backup lights has a connector located behind the right side rear lower plastic. So you'll prob have to rmove the section. First you must remove the rear center plastic by taking out the bottom two well nuts, removing the light access covers, and removing the screws under them. then pull up and the top edge clips will come out with an upward tug. then take a phillips to the rear speaker area. remove the covers and remove the speaker mount plates if you have em. them pull the passenger seat forward and access the screws that are under the behind the seat compartments. remove them too. at this point leave the door open and i think you can go to the back and tug sideways, toward the center of the car, and the big piece will unclip. you can now unplug the connector (also take this chance to wire in a trailer harness just in case you ever want to tow something!!! and not ethat you need six wires to properly wire a trailer from a honda, four will not do as the brake lights and turn signals are on different circuits, but tahts another story.) ya so now you can remove the grommet and pull the bumper off.

make sense??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.