Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, some of you know I broke two of my Illuminas on installation. I got the replacements and installed them (without breaking anything), and promptly went through a tank of gas driving the car around. The ground controls come with Eibach springs, which are all the same length (but different rates). I switched the front and rear springs to make the back of the car stiffer. The installation (see How-To) was very easy. With air tools it should take an hour or two, including removing old stuck parts. I used a lift, which as always is nice, but if you had the car on 4 jack stands it wouldn't be much harder. The only complaints I have about the install are the weak top nuts on the shocks, and the lack of directions for a complete assembly. Ground Control and Tokico both included instructions for the assembly, but they left out a lot, like which washers to use on the shock rod, and Tokico sent bags of extra washers. The best way to figure it out is to look at the old ones on the car. I was also expecting the springs would allow me to retain a stock ride height if I wanted, but in the front at least, the perches have to be pretty high to keep the tire from rubbing on the wheel well.
Customer service for Tokico was amazing. I didn't deal with ground control at all, as nothing of theirs broke. One of the reasons I got the Illuminas, aside from the great deal on them, was the lifetime warranty. As soon as I broke the two installing them, I called Tokico directly and they were very helpful, even though they were closing in ten minutes. They told me it was probably a defect in the shocks, though I doubt that two of them would break so easily like that, I'm more inclined to think it's just poor construction. Anyway, I got my replacements along with prepaid shipping labels to return the old ones faster than I got the original shocks. I can't say enough about the customer service, they were prompt responding to my phone calls and emails, the way any company who stands behind their product should be. Also about the quality, the shocks I took off my car turned out to be Tokico HPs, and though they weren't working right, they weren't completely blown, despite two broken OEM springs (one of which was rubbing the shock body).
So what everyone really wants to know is how do they ride! I had them on originally for a couple of days with my old all season tires, and then I put on Falken Azenis RT-215 (195/60-R14). The difference is amazing, it's like having a whole new car. As you would expect, it is a lot stiffer, I have learned to slow down a lot on the roads in my town. Still, it's a tradeoff for the awesome handling and better feedback.
Adjusting the shocks actually makes a difference too, and it's very easy to do. A friend of mine has them installed on his Mazda MX-6, and the rear shocks are nearly impossible to reach for adjustment, but the CRX has the little access panels in the rear, so even with the full interior you can change settings quickly. I have been riding around with mine set on 3 front and 5 rear, and though the ride is rough like I said, the car pivots very well around corners. At highway speeds, changing the shock settings doesn't seem to make much difference though, expect a bumpy ride if you drive on concrete roads. The only problem I have with the adjustment is I didn't get the cool Tokico keychain screwdriver (my friend did), but that's not such a big deal.
The Ground Controls are also pretty easy to adjust. The directions say jack up the wheel, loosen the perch, and turn it to where you want it. This is pretty easy on the front, but on the rear wheels, it's hard to see the perch, you really have to do it by feel. In my case, I had to preload the front springs about 2 turns of the perch to get a normal ride height, but it's really not too hard. Just take your time and measure it all out so you don't have to do it too much, it's not as easy as adjusting the shocks.
One last thing, I was originally a little worried about the Illuminas because they only come in "Steal Me White." I was seriously cosidering painting them black or something, but once I got them on the car, you can't see them at all with a mild drop. Even with my HX wheels, you can barely see anything past the brakes unless you get down and look for it.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only when I first took it off the lift, I didn't know how low it would sit, the car was slammed! Now it's normal, no rubbing. If you have mudflaps they may scrape occasionally, at least the front ones will.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.