Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forever Black - most of the trim on my car had faded to a very dull grey so I bought Forever Black to restore it to black. Forever Black is a shoe polish like black dye. It even comes in a shoe polish applicator. After washing the trim with the supplied conditioner then drying, it goes on easily and takes only a few minutes to dry (a lot less than the 10-15 minutes the bottle says it takes to dry). I did have few problems with it - I had trouble getting it to coat evenly. My trim was was so faded that if the Forever Black had any bubbles or I overlapped a strokes it looked terrible. I discovered if I put on several coats and immediately wiped off the excess between coats the result was satisfactory. Even doing that it was still a little uneven. The final problem I had was it getting on the paint. The bottle does say tape off painted areas but I of course ignored that. I did discover that a damp cloth with a little bit of the Forever Black conditioner and elbow grease removes it. My result was darker (though still uneven in sunlight) trim. Grade - B- (isn't as easy as it sounds and will only make badly faded trim darker, not black).

POR15 Boss Gloss - this corrected the uneveness left by the Forever Black. Boss Gloss is advertised as an Armorall alternative that lasts weeks instead of days. It looks and smells exactly like Armorall so it is obviously a silicone based product. It does bring the trim up to a high shine quicker than Armorall. It also doesn't soak in as fast as Armorall (especially on softer trim like the door ding strips that usually look bad hours after applying Armorall). So it's less work to put on with equal results. I'll report back to see if it really does last weeks instead days........Grade - A+ (for now if doesn't last two weeks or so the grade will be lowered)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I've got a bottle of BTB waiting to put on. I am just worried about it looking worse than aged trim. Did you take pics?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No and I wish I had taken before and after pictures . Right now I'd call my car a "five footer" (looks good standing five feet away). The Forever Black on it 's own would have looked horrible. It had streaks, some spots were darker than others. Now the combination of Forever Black and Boss Gloss makes it look black and shiny. The Boss Gloss evened it all out but what it will look like when the BG wears off should be interesting.......

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
White?! Stranger still. Well, I got a new bumper and still have my old lip. Obviously, they do not match. I will try it on the lip to see how it looks. No big deal if it doesn't as I need to buy another.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
BTB is like a wax, its not permanent, but it lasts for a decent amount of time.

pretty easy to apply, squirt a bit into a rag, and wipe on, pretty much it, if I remember correctly. I haven't used it in quite some time

·
Registered
80 Posts
The best thing for faded, old, dry black trim is to paint it. There is a paint that is made for trim. I have a can in my garage. I will tell you what it is soon.

To keep it shiny use my product called "Rizzo". It really will last for weeks, even through rain. It is the highest grade silicone available. It costs ten times what the other companies use. It works wonders on tires and trim. Ask Tom.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've been using Forever Black for quite some time. Like mentioned, when you apply the dye using the attached applicator, you'll get bubbles which cause little marks (or specs) on the trim. My solution was to take the applicator off and just pour a little bit of the product onto a cotton cloth. This way you can wipe it on rather than dab & smear...giving you much more control.

Good luck!

- C

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
*Update* Two weeks later the Boss Gloss is holding up well even with two rainy days in that time it's still shiney. The stuff appears to be every thing they promised. I'm going to wait as long as I can I stand it without washing my car to see how long it lasts......

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
*Update II* at a little over a month the trim just now needs to be recoated. BUT...I did wash the car a week or so ago. POR 15 Boss Gloss is amazing stuff I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I just put on Forever Black. The trick to no bubbles is to lay down light even layers and not big sloppy amounts. I would use the bottle upside-down while following the top line of the molding. This releases a decent amount of product. Then go back over the rest of the moulding with the bottle upright and with a light touch. You can see it absorb.

It comes out very smooth. I am very happy with the results. I will put a couple of more layers over the next few days.

My old spoiler now matches my new front bumper. And the rest looks much cleaner.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts