Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I bought this one with a blown motor. It has a nice big hole in the block as you'll see in the pics. It's an 88 Si with a spray-can paint job, but overall decent body and not totally riced out. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with this one yet. Probably just find another stock D16A6 and put it in.

I got to a late start this morning due to an issue at U-haul. But I was able to tow the car (about 80 miles) and get back to my house around 3:00pm. I was determined to pull this engine today, and I'm glad to say I did. My wife was very patient with me today and actually hung out with me in the garage for the last couple hours, and even snapped a couple pics of me pulling the engine at the end. Anyway, I'll let the pictures do the talking...

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Thats looking awesome Tom! Nice project, definitely. That is a neat picture though... 'Beauty and the Beast'... your nice rex parked nose-to-nose with the new project ;)

Oh, by the way... nice floors! Is that epoxy, vinyl, or that tile that you lay down in little squares, but is removable?

·
Registered
859 Posts
not quite as bad as my first crx but you got some work ahead of you i will give ytoou that

what did you give for it?

·
Registered
257 Posts
well that one took one for the team huh.

so is this gonna be a toy tom?

·
Registered
416 Posts
It is funny how you had the person that was doing all the work take pictures. You were way to clean to be the actual person doing all the work. :lol:

Looking good. Man I miss having a garage. I need to buy a house.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hmmm, the previous owner of your new car might have been related to the previous owner of my car

(It's all black stock again now)

Nice find, Good luck with it

·
Registered
859 Posts
ewwwwwwwwwww nasty white i did that like an ass in my first rex i am smarter now.... errr kinda i am trying to strip my center counsel door handels, vents and bewzal from silver back to blue, what did you use to get it off?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
New red crx in a squeaky voice: "When I grow up, I wanna be just like the other red crx..." ;)

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to this project.

Wasuri - The original color is red, but it looks like they tried some sort of blue/black color in the engine bay and then changed their mind.

ComposiMo - Thanks. The floors are just that cheapo tile squares from Home Depot. It just makes it look pretty. I got tons of compliments from neighbors and people walking by at my old house, so I decided to do it here too when I moved a couple months ago.

Jonny_Black - Not really sure yet. I don't want to spend a ton of money on it. I'm going to tear open the old engine just for fun and take a look.

Joshman - Ha, funny. I guess I look a lot cleaner in the pictures. The black shirt hides it all. I did all the work by myself. Not bad for only the 2nd time ever pulling an engine out. First one took me over a week. This one about 5 hours.

ShadowCRX - I paid $450 for it. And it cost me $50 to rent a car transport to tow it.

This one is in a lot better shape than the last one I bought and towed home. Last year I paid $800 for a really rusted out junker. And I drove a LONG way to tow it back. But it had a B16 and a nice suspension. I sold the engine and parts and made over $2000. Enough to pay for that engine lift and some air tools, and take my wife out to a couple of nice steak dinners. ;)

·
Registered
633 Posts
shadowcrx said:
ewwwwwwwwwww nasty white i did that like an ass in my first rex i am smarter now.... errr kinda i am trying to strip my center counsel door handels, vents and bewzal from silver back to blue, what did you use to get it off?
Wrenches, screwdrivers and all the interior from another crx :lol:
I had no intention of trying to get all that crap off.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Nice find and disassemble tom,but how did you get Mr. clean to pose for that pic in your garage?
jk buddy...love ya. :wink:
Glad to see another rex saved from a ricers grimey clutches.
Oh and I would caption the two rexes faced each other..."awww look mommy there kissing." :wink:

Actually tom...

"I traded the van straight up for this hog.She gets 45 miles to the gallon." :lol: :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
black_krix_si said:
LMAO! I love that movie!
Hehe. Me and Ollie started off over a year ago trading Dumb and Dumber lines over PM's. Notice the quote in my sig. Best movie ever!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hey Tom, whatever you do please retain those seat covers at all cost. Also, you will want to have fancy 2 foot high Chinese calligraphy that you have no idea as to its meaning painted on the doors and on the hood (preferably in bright yellow) :wink:

Good Luck!

·
Registered
293 Posts
tom why dont you look into finding a d16y7 out of a 96-2000 civic dx its non vtec right around the same hp as the d16a6 but its more torqueier (sp?) drops right in everything pretty much bolts up the same. they sell those motors out of the junk yard around here for around 350 bucks with 50-150 k miles on em. but i supose realistically any d motor you could get your hands on for cheep would work even an hf or cx bottom end would work with your si head.

ive droped 8-10 y7 motors into crx's as replacement motors. and they all seam to run pretty well.

just something to think about i supose.

scarponze

·
Registered
633 Posts
Actually the HF botom end wont work, not enough valve reliefs. Not sure on the CX though

1 - 20 of 29 Posts