Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thats "Project Rice" for you yanks.

Well, I purchased my 1988 CRX Dx in March 2011 for $1500. After seeing the pictures and reading the story most of you will call me insane for paying that much. I look at it in a different light. It was cheaper than going to UTI to "learn" about Hondas. Although, that wasn't what I thought originally. Two years ago I thought CRXs were hideous, but now, not so much. I'd prefer an '88 Civic hatch over an '88 CRX (I dislike seatbelts attached to doors...my Integra almost choked me once...), but I'm not letting this one go. EDIT: I come back two years later to this exact post to insert a correction. It took me four years. Now I can honestly say i will never own a hatch. The CRX is staying with me until death do us part. I've fallen in love. There's a phrase in Spanish that says: "Esta tan feo, que esta curioso". It means: "It's so ugly that it's cute". That's exactly what went through my mind when I saw the car for the first time in real life. It was in an empty lot in Lake LA by itself. Upon further inspection I noticed that the paint wasn't OEM and it was for sale. "$2500 OBO" said the sign. "F&%$ that! I'll talk this ricer down to $1k," I replied. Little did I know, the...

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
seller is an acquaintance. A half hour drive later and 30 minutes talking, we made an arrangement for the aforementioned $1500. I didn't even search for other candidates. I knew I wanted a hatch, but the only decent one in the area is a primered, clusterf^%& of bondo with a D15b2 and xPlod sound system that my brother bought for $800 after I convinced him to save it a month before my purchase.
Anyways, considering the circumstances in which I found it, I knew this car was for me. I knew I wanted to dive balls deep into a Honda project to take to the track, but I had no idea I'd meet amazing people in a forum as I learned. So after that short story I hope the few readers are hungry for pictures.

This was the day I went to go pay the $1500. In cash. One week after the first encounter. Because Im cool like that. 8)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
$1500 is about the average price in ohio. i think you did fine. looks like you need a oem front bumper. :wink:

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The next day or the day after I took it down to a friend's house for about a week as I talked the landlord into letting me bring the car home so I didnt have to take the bus to only work in 30 minute intervals.

This is the morning I picked it up from the PO's house. Gave it a basic wash in the driveway and then parked it. Dust gathered quickly. :(

It was the least of my problems though. After the friend's parents came out, they told me to move it out back. At least they let me keep it there, but the CRX suffered...

And this is the day I brought it home. After a wash, of course.

PS: Those are the original rims off my Integra. :biggrin: A little part of me wishes I still had it although there were things I didnt like. Maybe one day I'll go back...

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After getting it home, I first tackled the tangled mess I affectionately called "colorful noodles" under the steering wheel.

After a couple hours it looked like this:

The alarm was off but the harness was still messy. I have since fixed that and finally fixed the wiring to my tail lights, deleting the speaker wiring. The doors also lack the wiring and have nothing going into them besides the glass. I don't have pictures of all this though...

Then I would just go over to look at everything in the bay to figure out what was what and such. Fixed some of the wiring there and then I found an excuse for pictures again.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This was how it looked in its good days of my ownership. I still dont get around to restoring the WW kit, but it'll come. I had plans of converting it back to stock, but I really dont have that kind of money...

Then I just left it like that for a few months. Took it to school a couple times for diagnostic work and deemed the engine too old to stay. I had plans of taking it out for a rebuild to boost it, but it stabbed itself because it didnt want to see the abuse. :(
Goodluck with the taconeck.

This happened the day I was taking it to my dad's to start the tear-down. The engine leaked and burned a lot of oil. I knew it was dangerous to leave with only 3-3.5 qts in there, but my cheap self took the risk. Half way into the trip it sarted knocking and I knew. So I punched it coming out of a stop sign for the last time. 1st, 2nd, lift for 3rd, and boom...

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
stelios said:
I feel your pain with the colourfull noodles... :rolleyes1:
Yeah, it was kinda intimidating at first since I had never touched wiring on a car before. I was running before I had left the nipple! :shock:

And I didn't have a multimeter so I literally had to chase wires. That was fun. Seriously. :)

Oh, and I forgot this!

One day I come out to this pleasant suprise, and as Im taking pictures, the owner walks out. He was just a little older, maybe late 20s, but about twice my size...to the sides. :lol: We talked for quite a bit and he said he just had to do it to get pictures for himself. It was a random, but, nice experience. :)

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
stelios said:
Meech said:
stelios said:
I feel your pain with the colourfull noodles... :rolleyes1:
And I didn't have a multimeter so I literally had to chase wires. That was fun. Seriously. :)
:hammer:
Psshh... Tell me who else can tackle wiring for the first time without help or a multimeter and not fuck **** up? 8)

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, thats pretty much it untill I get my OBD1 D15b VTEC from HMO. The engine bay is empty. I need new axles though.

I have my OBD1 plugs for the conversion.

And I got my catch can ready on stand-by.

8)

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sicknick said:
CRXs were hideous..... Ok your banned :x
Hold up, I like this bucket now! The handling and the fact that the D15b2 kept up with a v6 'Stang changed the way I look at all CRXs. At first I didnt even completely like my car, but it grew on me as I worked on it. Most of the time I was just taking off panels to clean the chassis, but I loved it. It just happened to be that I was learning at the same time. ;)

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Meech said:
sicknick said:
CRXs were hideous..... Ok your banned :x
Hold up, I like this bucket now! The handling and the fact that the D15b2 kept up with a v6 'Stang changed the way I look at all CRXs. At first I didnt even completely like my car, but it grew on me as I worked on it. Most of the time I was just taking off panels to clean the chassis, but I loved it. It just happened to be that I was learning at the same time. ;)
I'm with you man. When my sister bought a crx i thought it was the worst car. Then i drove it, sealed the deal. That 1st drive changed how i saw the car forever. Now i love the look of the car, plus the joy of driving one is just hard to replicate with any other car! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nar said:
I'm with you man. When my sister bought a crx i thought it was the worst car. Then i drove it, sealed the deal. That 1st drive changed how i saw the car forever. Now i love the look of the car, plus the joy of driving one is just hard to replicate with any other car! :mrgreen:
Exactly haha.

I should go take more pictures one day. Just for the hell of it. Im still waiting on the engine and most of the wiring is done plus the AC stuff is out.

Things on my list:
-Take out dash to remove heater core and vents
-Fix wiring and delete the head unit and CC portion of harness
-Put interior back together
-Source blue cargo box, cargo divider, and cargo cover
-Finish engine harness (MPFI is done just need to install OBD1 plugs)
-Make distributor/VTEC subharness
-Install new engine and go through diagnostics

By the way, who has an idea of where I could get a crimping tool for the OBD1 pins? Im talking about the pins that go into the connectors/plugs.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd rather work without one. I dont know, its just something about studying the system as a whole until you know it like the back of your hand. Its more time consuming, but rewarding. It is for me at least.

And you can just imagine it... My 6' 220lb self snaking under the dash chasing wires. :biggrin:

Just so you know, I used to do the same when I would fix PS2 consoles and controllers. To test connections I'd just use one of those screwdriver-looking things with a bulb and ground clamp. ;)

Maybe later when I need to test finer things with tolerances I'll invest in a good one.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I'm still patiently waiting for my engine, but I have pulled the trigger on this. I have always steered away from ebay for many reasons but I guess one purchase to test the waters wont hurt. Especially with just under $75 for this header. I can make that in a day at the fairgrounds or twice that in one day laying tile. No biggie. 8)

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.