Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the proportioning valve off a 91 teg work for my disc brake conversion. Its stamped 35/40 instead of the 40/40 which I've read about. Silly question, what do the numbers stand for? I'm guessing its the pressure going to each rear wheel. So I probably want the 40/40 for equal pressure right?

Thanks
BP

·
Registered
633 Posts
SETI20 said:
You would expect the front/rear bias....but no.
Seems like most people think that... I'll never understand why. Bad math?
On the 40 40, if 40% goes to the front and 40% goes to the rear then what happens the the other 20%? :p

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
The proportioning valve is a restrictor valve. So I figured it was the restriction percentage.

....but that wasn't it either.
But there IS a big difference between prop valves.
For instance, the EE8 valve I've been planning to install shifts the balance to the rear, because of the increased brake size on the front.
Wich is exactly what I want since I keep locking up my inner cornering wheel.

·
Registered
529 Posts
downest said:
Bart are you saying like a CRX HF prop valve is the same as one from an ITR?
Thats what Brian says. I mean I don't consider it fact, but considering the source I'm sure he knows more than us about Hondas. I would think it is a posibility. I mean Honda gives him cars so I think if he might be on the forefront of Honda knowledge.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
im pretty sure they are not all the same as well. but i cant back that up wiht anymore then i swapped a 4040 onto a rear disc converted car and it seemed to work much better then the stock drum valve.

hmmmm

[email protected]

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I have tested it out, and I can debunk this claim as fact.

I swapped the proportioning valve out of a civic coupe, with one of a VTi version, and the back/front bias had changed, as was evident on the brake test bench.
Being that it's a friction based test I can't make any statements on the percentages, but the rear brakeing force had increased.
I cannot recall how many points.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Tom, when are you going to send me one of those 4040 prop valves?? I need it asap!

I concur. Seeing as how and integra and a crx use the same rear calipers but different fron caliper bore dimaters, i'd have to say its pretty much a necessity to have different proportioning to the front or rear. AND the fact that the front to rear weight ratio is distinctly different too.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I've opened a 1725 and a 3540 prop valve and measured the various parts with a dial caliper. The springs have different dimensions... Different wire thickness, different number of turns, different free lengths. The valve bodies may be identical with the exception of anodizing color, but the springs most certainly are not.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.