Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my quaife rack is on order, and I went over to my buddies house and picked up a spare DX rack. Im going to take it apart later and see what I need to rebuild it exactly.

Heres the picture Im referencing

Now, the quaife replaces parts 9 and 6, does it come with bearing 38? anything else?

Im pretty sure I need to order 10, (2) 21, (2) 22, (2) 20, 14, 15, 23, 24, (2) 11, (2) 34, 25 and 27.

Do the honda tie rod ends come with a castle nut and cotter pin or do i need to order parts 31 and 36 as well? Is there anything else I should consider replaceing in there?

Thanks for the suggestions!

[email protected]

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool,

Ill try and document as much as possible then. Im going to build the rack at my house, and then install it with Tom and Tom along iwth my brake upgrades and some misc other suspension pieces.

This project actually turned into a major overhaul. Las night I started workgin on my spare knuckles, got the bearings and everything out. Gonna clean them up, paint them black and put my new bearings and lower balljoints in. I have a new set of UCAs I just need to install my poly bushings in them. I got my LCAs and strut forks sandblasted and ill be painting those black and installing new bushings.

Theres alot to do, but the car should be tight as hell with all new suspension and steering parts.

[email protected]

·
Registered
289 Posts
mattminerDOTcom said:
Im pretty sure I need to order 10, (2) 21, (2) 22, (2) 20, 14, 15, 23, 24, (2) 11, (2) 34, 25 and 27.

Do the honda tie rod ends come with a castle nut and cotter pin or do i need to order parts 31 and 36 as well? Is there anything else I should consider replaceing in there?
I didn't see 4 in your list ... that's the rack guide which I think is a plastic part and does get worn. Number 2 might be worthwhile if it's cheap, that's the spring that keeps your rack and pinion together and it might be a little fatigued after so many years.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
#4 isnt what needs to be replaced. its #10 thats the rack end bushing that needs to be replaced when rebuilding.

the quaife rack comes with the rack and the pinion and a new bearing. nothing else.

matt, you did know you NEED A DX RACK, you cant reuse your Si rack. right?

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the tips guys....ill take all the suggestions i can get

tyson said:
me said:
...and I went over to my buddies house and picked up a spare DX rack...
thanks for the warning though, ive seen many people make that error.

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
How do you remove the pinion bearing? I got a DX rack and pinion on Sat and have it all sparkly clean! The diagram is helpful, but how does the pinion bearing come out? Do you have to pry the rubber seal out first, because by the looks of it, it's going to get destroyed in the process? Any general tips from someone who has experienced this would help because the whole removal process is a PITA

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
mattminerDOTcom said:

tyson said:
me said:

[email protected]
Please tell me the HF, and DX racks, happen to be the same? :?

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
OGDEN aka TruEFlover said:
mattminerDOTcom said:

tyson said:
me said:

[email protected]
Please tell me the HF, and DX racks, happen to be the same? :?
They do. In this case, the Si piece is the oddball.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.