Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EY EVERYONE!? welp i decided that i want to get rid of tha stock exhaust system and replace it with crush bend tubing and fart can done at a local shop. My concern is the diameter of piping to be used. I've been thinkn of goin 2 1/4" but also 2". Are there really any significant differences between 2" and 2 1/4"? Would it quiet it up a bit more with 2" piping? Also wanting to know if adding a resonator would be a good idea. Any feedback would be great!

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
2" should be plenty for a SOHC engine. However you're gonna lose out on the crush bends. So 1/4 larger might not be a bad idea.

Narrower exhausts are usually a bit quieter, but they suck performance wise. (and it's not like the USDM engines have that in abundance to begin with). They can also give somewhat of a "blowing through a straw" sound.
I suggest getting a resonator or glasspack instead.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
My vote is for 2 inch mandarel bend..... go with what ever exhaust you want as far as the muffler....

As much as i dislike fart cans i really like the sound of my b18 with a stock cat and a fart can..... powerful but not ricey or annoying...
Chris

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I'd add a glass pack as a resonator. It really helps to quiet the car down. My resonator took my car from nasty, to quite nice sounding.

I'd go 2.25" for a crush bent system.

·
Registered
62 Posts
ya im running a 2 in mandarel bend piping (DO NOT GO CRUSH BENT YOUR WASTING YOUR MONEY) with a resonator in place of the cat. i also have a fart can on it but most of the time i just run straight pipe frees up the engine so much more. research the fart can u put on it though do not get one that restricts it to much bc the whole point of and exhaust is to free up the engine. DO NOT go with a louvered core muffler go with a perforated core type muffler. Get rid of your cat to....

ps u want about 1-2 pounds of back pressure max

·
Registered
416 Posts
Please don't get rid of your cat. And don't hollow your existing one out. There are cheap high flow cats available.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Good choice going with a resonator. I had mine installed without on a custom installed system using 2.25" mandrel bent with a ractive straight through muffler. It is just way too loud even with the included silencer installed. Now I am taking it back to get a resonator installed and a different muffler.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hey just for anyone out there........ summit racing sells DNX mid pipes that are stainless steel 2 3/8" od pipe for crx's and hatches for $120. They are beauties, pretty good polished look, nice hardware and it fits for stock setups. The hatch mid pipe that I bought fits stock cats and at the very end where it meets the rear section it tapers real quick back to stock pipe diameter and has a flange to mount to a stock rear section... I am going to cut that taper part off and put a canister there to go straight out the passenger side. But just a heads up for a real nice pipe set for anyone with a rotting mid section, I think they also sell the rear sections as well.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just noticed something about the dnx mid pipe, the end for the stock flange also has a landing built in that is about 2 1/2" diameter, it looks like you could put an aftermarket rear section on this, I am going to go try this just to see if my brospeed rear section fits on it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
ok, so the brospeed rear section doesn't quite seal right, and I looked at the stock rear section and it doesn't look like it would mate well unless you took some of the length off of the dnx pipe that sticks out. It just wouldn't go in deep enough into the muffler pipe to get the flanges to mate. And there was a hanger where the rear section joint is and I don't think there is a hanger there on any car I have seen, the hanger is on the rear section, not the mid pipe.

So .... stock dx, magnaflow cat (2"), dnx mid pipe (2 3/8"), brospeed rear section (2 1/4"?), sounds a bit farty for a few hundred rpm off of idle but then it sounds nice when it winds out hard, the engine sound is louder than the exhaust note at about mid rpms. When I get around to an engine rebuild and turbo setup, I will change the exaust to a 2 1/2" canister style and a probably a 2 1/2" cat. The down pipe off the turbo will probably be 2 1/2" or a tad larger.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts