Honda CRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I got mine, I thought it was kinda strange that it was rusting in the area where glass usually is, I thought maybe at first the glass broke and they replaced it with a piece of sheet metal (feels pretty thin and flex's in when I push on it), but after looking around some at other peoples cars, I've seen both ones with glass, and others that look OEM, with color matching paint over the sunroof area, but there is definately the trim around it. Mine opens (slowly) and is all sealed right, so i guess its right? Now the problem is the rust and from what ive read that area is prone to rust. so whats the deal with these? moonroof?sunroof? !!

·
Registered
779 Posts
CRX Si's are real steel one. The 'glass' ones are the ones that leak as they cut a whole in the roof and installed them.

The only glass ones that are OEM are the Civic Si's.

Get an HF roof and end it. Sun roofs on Rexs are known for leaking and having them rust out.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
First I would remove the sunroof panel and disassemble it with caution to see just how significant the rust is. Often the rust is much worse on the underside/inside of the sunroof panel than it is on the outside because its not sealed well enough and the panel isn't painted very well on the underside.

If your steel panel is still salvageable i would sand out all the surface rust, repaint it and/or coat the underside to corrosion-proof it. then reassemble the rubber edge seal and the thin steel clamp-like pieces. Maybe even get new rubber seals for the panel.

I know I loved the sunroof on my 91Si and still miss it sometimes on nice sunny days in my pink crx.

·
Registered
20,303 Posts
ludesrv said:
CRX Si's are real steel one.
Right.
88-91 Crx SI = Solid metal, power sunroof, slides up and back
88-91 Civic Si = Glass moonroof, slides down and into the roof.
The "metal" power sunroof was only avail. in the Crx Si. If you see a Crx with a glass sunroof, it is an aftermarket one and more than likely will leak and be problematic.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool, thanks for clearing it up guys. Just gotta add that to my list of things to do!! I kinda like the sunroof, I guess if its not so bad I'd just keep it but its not really a necessity to me. I just dont know if I'm capable of tackling a whole roof swap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts