Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 88 crx si and im planning swap out my d15b for a b18a1, but i was wondering what parts from gsr and a acura type r will fit without no mods on a b18a1 need help so if anyone could help me out with this thanx

·
Registered
912 Posts
welcome to the community. You should post some pics in the lounge if you have any. Do you have the b18a1? i'm not familiar with b18's I would assume you could swap on a GSR head to get a but more power and VTEC. Other than that, i'm not to familiar with B engines.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah im the new guy, about the b18a1 im going to swap that in for know i also have a b16 head that i plan on installing but later on so i can can it
ls-vtec, but i want to know if the type R parts will be compatible with my engine

this is what i have so far:
b18a1 engine
b16 head
type R pistons with gsr rods
going to buy acura type R camshafts w/valve springs
thinking about getting the acura type R crank

just need to know what other acura type R parts or gsr parts will fit into my b18a1

·
Registered
20,285 Posts
racejdm said:
yeah im the new guy, about the b18a1 im going to swap that in for know i also have a b16 head that i plan on installing but later on so i can can it
ls-vtec, but i want to know if the type R parts will be compatible with my engine

this is what i have so far:
b18a1 engine
b16 head
type R pistons with gsr rods
going to buy acura type R camshafts w/valve springs
thinking about getting the acura type R crank

just need to know what other acura type R parts or gsr parts will fit into my b18a1
You can use essnetially ANY b series parts with your b18a1 motor. Most if not all parts are interchangable as long as you stay within your motor family, which would be "b".

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kookoo thanx i will stay in the B family (B16,B18a1,B18c1,B18c5), would there be a significant change on tourque and hp by switching my internals to "type R" and also getting the p73 ecu (type R)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the tourque will go down when i substitute the ls crank for the the type r crank and also replacing the old ls cams for the type r cams & the valve springs, and also switching the pistons to type r, does anyone know the estimanted hp/tourque that this engine will have with the following

b18a1 engine
type r pistons
gsr rods
type r camshafts
type r valve springs
type r crank
possibly bore and polished intake manifold & throttle body

PS: if anyone has any suggestions on what i should do with my parts or recomending alternative parts

in advance thanx for anyone reading this and giving advice.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
rex2nr said:
Does the A1 have VTEC? if not, the type R cams will be pretty much worthless, correct?
The A1(LS) motor is a non-vtec.
The addition of the Type-R cams will change your powerband and increase horsepower.(at the expense of some torque)
Hp estimates ehh...I will assume that you are going all-motor and not FI.
Basic Hp averages of a LS/VTEC is almost that of a type R.
Right around 197(FWHP) I'm remembering.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah im going to go all motor :D , the hp output will be around 197 hp just with the cams.
what part do the type r pistons with the type r crank play on this, will this applications help out dramatically

PS: thinking about getting the throttle body/intake manifold port and polished

once again thanx for the help.

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
The P73 pistons will boost the compression. The Type R crank will decrease the stroke slightly, this lowers displacement and torque a bit but allows the engine to spin much faster, to 8000+ rpms, and it's in that higher range that you will make most of the extra power.

http://www.zealautowerks.com/ This website should help you decide what parts you want to use.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
with all of the type r internals that im going to be installing on my car. roughly a number tossed out in the air what will be the hp on my car

with the following:
B18a1
type r cams
type r type r pistons
type r crank
b16 head ( going ls-vtec)
port and polished intake manifold/throttle body

so i guess in some weird way its going to be ls-vtec type R :shock:

PS thanx jfrolang for that link it did help also thanx to everyone that has helped me.

·
Registered
20,285 Posts
racejdm said:
There should be lots more info out there for you since many ppl go this route, i think in the long run it is a more cost effective "Type R".

racejdm said:
with all of the type r internals that im going to be installing on my car. roughly a number tossed out in the air what will be the hp on my car
with the following:
B18a1
type r cams
type r type r pistons
type r crank
I'd make an educated estimate of 180-190hp +/-

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ive looked threw many threads and i havent found other threads about ls-vtec or placing type r internals on a b18a1 so i you know of any do you maind pointing me in the right direction

one thing i forgot to mension will gsr rods fit since thats what i have with my type r pistons

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
racejdm said:

with the following:
B18a1
type r cams
type r type r pistons
type r crank

PS thanx jfrolang for that link it did help also thanx to everyone that has helped me.
With a P73 ECU, you're basically looking at full Type R engine, except for the block and the valve springs. What connecting rods are you gonna use? I'll assume GSR/Type R (they're the same) for now. The slightly shorter B18A block will raise the compression, but I don't know what rpms that block will safely handle. The B18C crank will reduce the lateral pressure on the cylinder walls, but it will also increase with higher rpms. You're probably safe at 8k, and I would estimate around 205-ish hp at the crank, considering the higher compression and ported head. A stock Type R pushes 195, the head is the same cast as the B16, but the valvetrain is upgraded and the head is factory P&P'd.

If you can get all the Type R parts cheap, it should be worth it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hey jfrolang if i was to temporeraly use my p28 ecu until i get my p73 this application will still work sice i belive the p28 is set at 7500 rpm i belive and the v-tec a 5000 rpm

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.